remote oil cooler

VW's aircooled mini SUV. Great for riding in the country, or cruising the beach.
Rec

remote oil cooler

Post by Rec »

Has anyone seen remote oil cooler or coolers on a Thing. I just got one and it has 2 large coolers mounted under the pan about where the the front seats are located. Might be ok for on road but I live and play on dirt/gravel roads. Dont know if hoses go to where stock oil cooler was or if the oil galley was drilled. Got to be a better way/place. Thanks

------------------
Rec
bljones

remote oil cooler

Post by bljones »

I have a six pass cooler mounted horizontally in the license place recess on my engine lid. I relocated the plate to the left side using a generic trailer license plate light/bracket combo, and then fabbed a diamond plate "air scoop" that fits over the cooler. Looks decent, keeps things cool, and my total investment was less than $50.
Rec

remote oil cooler

Post by Rec »

BDJ
Where are you scooping the air from?
bljones

remote oil cooler

Post by bljones »

The scoop serves three purposes- one, it pulls in a little more air to the cooler, as the back of the vehicle is a dead zone from an airflow standpoint. two, it protects the cooler. three, it serves a cosmetic purpose, and prevents anyone from burning themselves on a hot cooler. There aren't many places to mount an external cooler on a thing where it is protected, but whatever you do, do not mount it in the flow of cooling air to the engine. i have seen some that have been installed inside the frsh air ducts- looks good, but it preheats the air before it cools the engine, which hurts, instead of helps.