S&S Header

VW's aircooled mini SUV. Great for riding in the country, or cruising the beach.
thinger

S&S Header

Post by thinger »

A little before last Christmas, I purchased an S&S Thing header. I wanted a good quality stainless steel header but couldn't find one anywhere so I had to settle on a ceramic coated header. I picked the S&S because I liked the design. It's an extractor but the exhaust exit out the stock bumper holes. I spent over $500 and now that I've lived with it for six months, I've got to say that its a waste of money. S&S seems to know a lot about header design but their quality control is horrible!

When I first got the header, I found that one of the j-tubes had a big dent in from the bending machine clamp. I took it back and they acted like it would work fine the way it was. I held my ground and they agreed to give me another one. Several weeks later, it came back from the coating and I installed it on my Thing.

The installation was a PITA. It was a real bear to get things to line up with the holes. But I finally got it to fit. Since then, I've had to fight leakage from every joint! I'm not kidding here, every joint has leaked! I've taken it apart and re-installed it twice. The passenger side j-tube was so short, I finally had to cut and extension out of a cheap Taiwan j-tube to fix it.

I like the design and I like the coating but I would NEVER recommend an S&S header to anyone. They just don't take any pride in their work.
Gravedigger

S&S Header

Post by Gravedigger »

I recently installed an exhaust for a customer, I bought it from The Thing Shop,
place is in Oregan, very nice,well made, sounded good, fit right, exhaust exits through bumber, powder coated, I think cost
was about $300-$325, J-tubes were extra $30
Id recomend that system anyday

------------------
Denny Anderson
thinger

S&S Header

Post by thinger »

LOL. I would have bought that except Larry from The Thing Shop talked me out of it. He said I'd loose some horsepower. I knew that and was ready to give it up. The killer was that they didn't have the ceramic coating. He said the hi-temp coating they put on would burn off within a few months.

If I had to do it over again (and I probably will) I'll buy his setup and get it coated myself.
Bob Ingman

S&S Header

Post by Bob Ingman »

Joe, this is about the opposite of your situation. Just wanted to pass along some good news on exhaust.
I just added a Bursch exhaust to the ol Thing and could`nt be happier. It fit perfectly,added power and is WAY up and out of the way. A quality setup. Good luck. Bob Ingman
thinger

S&S Header

Post by thinger »

Where do you go to get information on Bursch?
Bob Ingman

S&S Header

Post by Bob Ingman »

Joe, you can find Bursch at http://pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcar ... s_main.htm
Then click on the word photo. Good luck BobIngman

[This message has been edited by Bob Ingman (edited 06-21-2002).]
thinger

S&S Header

Post by thinger »

Thanks Bob,

I checked out the photo. It's not very clear but it doesn't look like it would fit on a Type 1 engine. It looks like it has two exhaust ports going to one side.

Do you have any photos of your setup?
Bob Ingman

S&S Header

Post by Bob Ingman »

Joe , you`re right this exhaust will not work on the T-1 engine. Will have my own photos soon. Good luck. Bob