Compilation of Everything 181 Off Road & Related...

VW's aircooled mini SUV. Great for riding in the country, or cruising the beach.
Metal Twister

Compilation of Everything 181 Off Road & Related...

Post by Metal Twister »

I'm trying to get a compilation of Off Road 181's pics, Modifications, and Fabrication idea that are unique to the 181Thing"s & Safari's as well as street-able Dual Sport 181's heavy on the dirt modifications side. Sifting through pages of lowered or stock thing is cool but not where my interests lie. If you have info. on your off road 181, or have pics that are not already posted feel free to add them as well. If you would like to share your Off Road build Link while making it easy for us to find please, post a link here as well. All 181 off road modifications would be welcome as well. A pic is worth a thousand words so get wordy! :D

Id eventually like to get into specifics like Tire and wheel sizes and relocation pros and cons, Suspension up grades both to stock components and custom built, and eventually working from the ground up to what is the best design of roof racks and for what purposes... I guess I'm just hoping to get as much 181 off road stuff in one place as we can. Spending days searching for this valuable stuff sucks! :wink: So basically anything 181 off road can be added here. Thanks for the help and taking the time to add your information.

I thought I would get THINGS started with some eye candy that I have collected. I saved these pics with the intent of gathering ideas of what has already been done. Some great vehicles here and be sure to add yours when ya get a chance.

Last edited by Metal Twister on Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:37 am, edited 5 times in total.
Metal Twister

Re: 181 Off Road Thing Pic Compilation...

Post by Metal Twister »

Last edited by Metal Twister on Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metal Twister

Post by Metal Twister »

Metal Twister

Post by Metal Twister »

Metal Twister

Post by Metal Twister »

Metal Twister

Re: Compilation of Everything 181 Off Road & Related...

Post by Metal Twister »

Just curious how far one can take the modifications of a 181 and still get buy calling it street legal? Im in California and Im guessing if you had it registered prior to the mods and you never had to transfer the title everything would be just fine. What has your real life experiences been? Any Issues with the DMV or the PoPo?

Fast Eddie

Post by Fast Eddie »

Not much activity on this thread. I myself am interested in the same topic. Twisted metal if you would like to brainstorm some together feel free to. I currently have four things but only one worth working on and would like to do a "mudder" off road type ride. I live in Mississippi where that would be more suited for my surroundings.
Kmann

Post by Kmann »

RoMTOC Thing Data CD Volume 13
Picture
~~NEWLY REVISED~~ RoMTOC VW Thing Data CD Price: $19.73
RoMTOC Thing Data CD

http://www.romtoc.com/romtoc-thing-data-cd.html

The Definitive VW Thing Data Resource
(A printed copy of this CD would contain 1,000s of pages of data)
A must have for every VW Thing Lovers and Owners.
This is the most comprehensive Thing data resource available
$19.73 shipped. via paypal [email protected]

Hundreds of NEWLY organized and cataloged pictures of every type of Thing, stock, custom, modified and otherwise from all around the world. 1. New detailed brake light warning diagrams

including step-by-step wiring check data ~~

NEW isolated brake wiring diagrams.

Complete VW factory torque values ~~~
hard top details and much more
~~ CD updated often with new info ~~
even if you have an earlier version

our new edition is well worth the price
2. Original VW Dealer Thing brochures
3. VW factory ads
4. Complete factory BN-4 gas heater manual and troubleshooting guide
5. High quality owner's manual
6. Complete Wiring diagrams
7. Complete VW parts crossover guide
8. Complete factory microfiche with every part number and illustrations of every part.
9. A Thing trivia file that contains procedure for many restoration, customization and repair procedures.
10. A huge file of detailed Thing parts photographed with accurate name labels.
11. A huge file of pictures of odd, rare and one-of-a-kind Things. Also pictures of US import, Euro Military and civilian Things from around the world. 12. A complete guide including stock numbers and color samples of Thing factory paint colors including military camo patterns.
13. A complete collection of magazine articles about the VW Thing.
WickedWagens

Post by WickedWagens »

I'm interested in this too. I'm hoping to make my thing as capable off road as possible without cutting the body or doing a body lift. I may do the fiberglass fenders, but not sure on that yet.
Last edited by WickedWagens on Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
1968 Karmann Ghia land speed
G/CFALT 106.643 MPH G/CGALT 113.131 MPH
G/CBGALT 169.462 MPH G/CBFALT 146.715 MPH
G/CBGC 158.242 MPH H/CBGC 94.334 MPH
H/CPRO 93.383 MPH H/CBFALT 101.282 MPH
H/CBGALT 120.591 MPH
Top Speed 174.2 MPH
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

(Opinion)

I've only played with thing parts and asked question about certain things; the Thing is (as I understand it), in many ways, is like a glass dune buggy. No top to transfer loads front to rear, side to side, and cross (diagonal loads) ways also so the cage has to do all the load work.
013.JPG
Bug spindle.JPG
DSC04096.JPG
setting up for hook and pin stops 007.JPG
The front beam of a Thing has been changed to be stronger spindle design by putting the lower BJ facing down and the spindle has beeh changed to meet the new requirement so the BJ can't be pulled out of the lower A arms making it stronger bump wise. The beam (opinion here) should also have A-arm wise for the "just in case" thing (no pun intended).

Not sure about the rear torsion housing stops at each end of the housing but if it is like the bug then some work has to be done there. Again, the trans mount (if like the bug) should have the spot welds backed up by rewelding the seams on both inside and their outside seams.

Lee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.