All original 1973 Thing - wheel wells correct color?

VW's aircooled mini SUV. Great for riding in the country, or cruising the beach.
boabrams

All original 1973 Thing - wheel wells correct color?

Post by boabrams »

I have an all original orange Thing but not sure if one of the owners along the way changed what is factory correct inside of the wheel wells. When delivered from the factory, what was correct for inside of the wheel wells, was it the color of the Thing (orange in this case) or black rubberized undercoating? If painted the body color, was the surface rough or smooth? How about from the dealers, were these typically undercoated with black rubberized undercoating? Mine appears to be orange painted over a rough surface on the inside of the wheel wells.

Thanks, Bob
champagne superbeetle

Re: All original 1973 Thing - wheel wells correct color?

Post by champagne superbeetle »

Original 14-inch Thing wheels were silver. I would have to look up the actual paint code if that's what you want.
boabrams

Post by boabrams »

Thanks for the follow up. I was referring to the inside of the fenders inside the wheel wells, not the wheels themselves. Hope that clarifies.

Thanks, Bob
VWWoody

Post by VWWoody »

I have an Orange 74 thing as well. Someone sprayed undercoating on mine. I believe that they were orange. I have an original brochure and they show orange

Woody