Correct Part Number for headlight switch?

VW's aircooled mini SUV. Great for riding in the country, or cruising the beach.
sdwalter

Correct Part Number for headlight switch?

Post by sdwalter »

Does anyone know the correct part number for the headlight switch on a VW thing? My original was 211-941-531C and has 6 pins, but everything online I can find says to use 211-941-531E. I ordered the 211-941-531E, but that switch has 8 pins. Can I use the 8 pin switch? If so, does anyone know how to hook it up?

Thanks
Marc

Re: Correct Part Number for headlight switch?

Post by Marc »

Starting with the `71 model year, VW adopted the "X" terminal ignition switch with auxiliary contacts which fed the headlamp section of the light switch (and some other accessories like blower fans depending upon the year/model). To the best of my recollection, the "Bus-sized" (10mm escutcheon nut) version of the lighting switch was at first 211 941 531, followed by 531B and 531C with "X" terminal (don't know what difference there may have been between those, most likely it was some internal upgrades)...and I've never seen a 531A, but that doesn't mean they couldn't exist. I honestly don't know what the 531E was originally supposed to fit, or if there ever was a 531D for that matter...but 531E seems to be the only part readily available these days. I suspect it may have originated for a Mexican or Brazilian Bus.
If your original switch did have the X terminal, the problem's simply that since the original switch is nearly impossible to find anymore everyone's selling the 211 941 531E instead. I even see some places that list it for `68-`79 Buses, and that's simply impossible (as I said above, the "X" terminal didn't debut until the `71 model). Can you make out terminal designations on the new switch? If it lacks the 57 that'd be a problem for a Bus - they used it for a parking lamp pilot light on the dash - but shouldn't matter to you...all you should need to use are 30, X, 56, 58, and 58b (same as on Bugs/Ghias/Type IIIs which take the 14mm version, 113 941 531E).
30 is unswitched power in (and a jumper wire feeding Fuse #9). X is from the ignition switch auxiliary contacts. 56 is power out to the headlight dimmer relay. 58 feeds Fuses #7 & 8 for the parking and tail lamps. 58b is the rheostat output to the dash illumination lamps.

To further muddy the waters, The Thing Shop sells the 531E as the replacement part for Things, "comes with jumper and wiring instructions":
I don't see why the jumper wire would be needed unless you were using an "X" terminal lighting switch on a car with the older style ignition switch, like a `68-`70 Bus.