thing front end shaking

VW's aircooled mini SUV. Great for riding in the country, or cruising the beach.
mentalQtip

Re: thing front end shaking

Post by mentalQtip »

update. Actually, there is looseness of the steering tube into the steering box and the steering arm into the steering box. There is no looseness anywhere else. All is tight and snug.
mentalQtip

Post by mentalQtip »

Just how difficult is it to remove and install a steering box in a thing? I'm guessing it is simple to remove and more difficult to install and get connected properly.

Joseph
wildthings

Post by wildthings »

I paid $75 for a new TRW box from my local supplier last year. Probably a little bit more this year, at that price it is hardly worth dinking with trying to make an older box work.
mentalQtip

Post by mentalQtip »

Sorry, walked away from the thing for awhile.
I was told to jack up the front end and putting hands at 3 and 9 positions push/pull and see what movement I get. The steering damper pretty much stopped the motion suggesting it's fine.
I did get significant motion before the damper came into play. Its was all at the steering arm going into the steering box.
Ala Hoover should I then try adjusting the box from the bottom? Where I read I should make the two tools loosen the nut and adjust the screw?
Thoughts anyone?

Thanks
Marc

Post by Marc »

The steering damper connects between the beam and the inboard end of the RH tierod - it should be "coming into play" immediately, no matter how bad the steering box is. Any visible signs on the damper that it's lost fluid?
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

If the Pittman arm is tight to the selector shaft in the steering box and (all) the tie-rod ends are good and the holes in the Pittman arm are not elongated, then you might have problems inside of the box. Adjusting the selector and worm gear can be done but I leery about telling anyone to do it themselves especially if they don't have a lot of experience doing it.

If the components in the steering box are worn past a certain level, adjusting the box when the worm and selector are sitting in the worn area (usually in the area of the worm gear when the wheels are straight ahead) can cause catastrophic problems up to and including very stiff steering action or, at worse, breaking the casting of the steering box.

Yes, the screw with the jam nut on it should be the adjusting mechanism.

I would hope that the problem lies in the dampener itself not the steering box.

Lee
mentalQtip

Post by mentalQtip »

Well just because it seems like an easy thing to do, I'm going for the steering damper probably this am. I know it isn't the real answer but it probably will help for right now. I want to get to the dmv as soon as I can to do a vin check and then apply for a title.

So, I hope a steering damper is an easy job.

I hope.

Thanks
mentalQtip

Post by mentalQtip »

Ok. Got a steering damper this am for $20. Brand name Boge, made in Germany. Got it in without actually removing the gas tank, just holding it tilted sideways with one hand. The old one I could push/pull several inches very easily. The new one would barely move at all. Total difference.
Can't get the thing out of the garage for awhile 'cause our van('94 villager quit in the driveway in front of the garage door. Was thinking bad alternator and battery but I'm also thinking the starter may be bad now. Cleaned all the contacts I could and even with a jump from the bus I can't get it to turn over.
Bus has issues now to, but I'll take that to the bus barn.