73' VS. 74"

VW's aircooled mini SUV. Great for riding in the country, or cruising the beach.
Mike Perez

73' VS. 74"

Post by Mike Perez »

I am looking to buy my first VW Thing and I would like to know what the difference is between the two years (73' and 74') is one considered better than the other?

Mike
Bruce2

Post by Bruce2 »

Very little.
You would be much wiser to buy based on condition rather than one year over the other.
Mike Perez

Post by Mike Perez »

Thanks for the reply. What are the two protrusions on each side of the rear for? Air intakes?

Mike
Kubelmann

Post by Kubelmann »

we call them muffs they are air intakes on the 74 only.
Mike Perez

Post by Mike Perez »

Thanks for the reply. I keep seeing some for sale that claim they are 73' and have the side intakes (muffs).

MP
champagne superbeetle

Post by champagne superbeetle »

If you're concerned about year, still check the VIN and the title (a good practice for buying any car really). If it starts with a 183-, then it is a '73. Likewise, a '74 starts with a 184-.

Sometimes, owners will add them to a '73, or delete them from a '74. Usually if it the latter, the slats will look different. Then there are those who literally piece parts from various Things of different vintages together for a deceptively fine looking final product if the weldwork, bodywork and paintwork is done nicely. You can find "clips" for sale in the parts department of the classifieds from the usual suspects. Typically, it is front clip or a rear clip, and they are specifically designed for those looking to delete the original which has rusted away or has been mangled in an accident.

Having muffs or not having muffs is more a matter of personal preference for Thing owners in general, assuming they have a preference. I have seen some statements about functionality but I have not seen data evidence, just anecdotal evidence.
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

OVERALL Opinion

I've owned both.

I appreciate the simplicty of the heating/cooling system of the 73.. this one has a gas heater instead of a "bug style" heater stystem.

I like the clean look of no side muffs and no extra stuff inside the car.

Now this is an opinion.

Tim
Mike Perez

Post by Mike Perez »

Thanks for the reply... I bought a 74' yesterday, I think, I will check the numbers tomorrow in the day light.

I do like the look without the muffs, but look forward to slowly fixin this one up.

What I need is a good THING repair manual, somthing that shows specs, wiring diagrams and step by step repair. This one I bought has a rebuilt engine with electronic ignition. There are no wires connected to the voltage regulator and plenty of extra un-attached wires through-out the rig.

Thanks Mike.
Kubelmann

Post by Kubelmann »

I suggest that you go to:

www.romtoc.com/datacd.html and check out the RoMTOC Thing Data CD

It is one of the best Thing Data resources available and is constantly updated.
Mike Perez

Post by Mike Perez »

I checked the #'s and it is a 74'. Romtoc.com looks like what I am looking for.

Thanks for the info, I'm sure I'll have more questions as I mess with this thing.
Mike Perez

Post by Mike Perez »

Kubelmann

I would like to know if the Romtoc Thing Data CD works on a Mac Computer.

Mike
Kubelmann

Post by Kubelmann »

Yes it actual was produced and maintained on a MAC. The CD works great on all formats. Thanks, K-mann
Mike Perez

Post by Mike Perez »

Kubelmann,

The CD works on my Mac, but the sevice manual is in German? I will look deeper into the CD maybe I missed the section that is in English.

Mike
Kubelmann

Post by Kubelmann »

Those German manuals are included for reference because some of the pictures are very helpful even if you can't read German. There is a microfiche parts assembly doc and a parts cross over guide that are both in English but there is no service manual except wiring diagrams and the gas heater manuals. Check out the Thing parts folder it has lots of my pictures of the various Thing parts. Also check out Thing trivia for some customizing and other procedures like tune up specs and such.
Mike Perez

Post by Mike Perez »

Kubelmann,

Thanks for the info, I am new to this THING. I am learning a lot about them quickly with this site and the CD.

Thank you,

Mike