Reinforcing Thing spindles

VW's aircooled mini SUV. Great for riding in the country, or cruising the beach.
Class 11 streeter

Reinforcing Thing spindles

Post by Class 11 streeter »

Anyone know of anybody offering tabs like these for Thing spindles?

I foolishly thought the tie rod arm positon and angle was the same for Thing and type 1........until I saw this:
So you think your project is taking forever eh? Well you've got nothing on me.....
sword181

Post by sword181 »

Why don't you just break out the old torch and some 1/4in. plate and make your own. If you don't have a torch make some cardboard patterns and go see your frendly welding shop. While you are there they would be happy to weld them for you.
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

I've never heard of thing spnldles breaking.

Backing it up..

Why gusset?
MNAirHead

Post by MNAirHead »

bummer would be knowing if the welding penetration was successful.
vwfleh

Post by vwfleh »

You would probably be suprised to find out that most people who weld these types of things up have no formal education, training or testing for welding on production line stuff anyway. Most just got better over time. If you really feel the need to gusset the spindles, just do it local.
Class 11 streeter

Post by Class 11 streeter »

All, thanks for the replys.

The reason I am going down this road is when I bought my Thing front end for my Class 11 bug, I didn't get the tie rods. Since I needed tie rods anyway, I went with aftermarket 1" alum tie rods.

IF the alum tie rods are all that in strength, a problem from offroad abuse would either show up as broken tie rod ends, or a bent spindle steering arm.

I can carry spare tie rod ends if the spindle arm is less likely to have a problem in the field.
So you think your project is taking forever eh? Well you've got nothing on me.....