Convertible TOP-ITIS advice

VW's aircooled mini SUV. Great for riding in the country, or cruising the beach.
1adam12

Convertible TOP-ITIS advice

Post by 1adam12 »

Yeah, I know, and I dont regret it yet, but i did go ahead and purchase one of those $200 tops from the Californication area of our great land....but anyway, I have the new top on about 80% on the car. I purchased a top retaining strip from the Thing Shop for $15 and $15 shipping. They indicated that they would be sending me a video etc, but I dont think it was for top installation, just adverts and such. I never got it anyway....

I need to attach the top to the front bow. I hit the semi rusty bow with a ton of Rust Bullet, (which is worth its weight in gold) I hope it freezes its level of deterioration...it still has a great deal of integrity.
So I am guessing judging from basic common sense of the application that after I stretch the top onto the bow, and the seams line up with the corners and the top is somewhat taut I have to pierce it with rivets in the 15 or so holes going across the bow with the retaining strip in place (on the inside/underside) pinching it and creating somewhat of an even tension on the underside. Now is there any kind of glue used in conjunction with this? or any felt lining or something between the bow and the vinyl? I suppose I ought to mill off any mildly sharp edges with a file right?!
or any one got an installation video I can borrow and I will pay shipping and mail it back when I'm done!?
Or just a step by step with this bow business.

Oh yeah, I'm not working with a large budget in case you have not guessed!?
1000 thanks Thing bros and sis'
God I love this vehicle, and every little job is approached with a modicum of love!

1a12
vwfleh

Post by vwfleh »

So did you get the top back together?