Help - Q about registration card

gaston

Help - Q about registration card

Post by gaston »

I'm about to import a T2b from california to europe. Government here over in switzerland wants to see the title (which is not problem) and the so called "registration card" (first time registration). So if i can't get the history for a 77 T2b to the first registration date and only get show the history fpr down to 1985 the car is rated as a first registeres 1985 car. Which implies that all regulations from 1985 will be used and not 1977. Not good.

Is there any way to get track of a car history in california? Are there any records stored?
Class 11 streeter

Re: Help - Q about registration card

Post by Class 11 streeter »

gaston wrote:I'm about to import a T2b from california to europe. Government here over in switzerland wants to see the title (which is not problem) and the so called "registration card" (first time registration). So if i can't get the history for a 77 T2b to the first registration date and only get show the history fpr down to 1985 the car is rated as a first registeres 1985 car. Which implies that all regulations from 1985 will be used and not 1977. Not good.

Is there any way to get track of a car history in california? Are there any records stored?
You may not need to do anything IF you have the title. I'll take some pictures to show what I mean.

Ok, pics of a couple of titles for a few of my parts car I have laying around. Notice to the right of the laser there is a section that says "YEAR 1ST SOLD" which is just that, the first year on file for California when the vehicle was first sold. If the bus spent it's entire life in California then you are probably good. This form was common in California from the 1980's well into the 1990's.

This next title was introduced a few years ago. It has slight changes in it's appearance but overall the same information is presented. Look above the laser pointer for the same "YEAR 1ST SOLD" block.

Last pic this is not mine but this is the very old version of a California vehicle title from the 1960's into the early 1980's. This is the form known as the "pink slip" and this term is still in use today by some people regardless that the modern vehicle title is no longer pink. :oops: Notice right in the middle near the top is the section called "DATE FIRST SOLD". If you happen to have this old title the information is still shown.

Before anything else I would try showing that to your government.

The downside on California records is after a vehicle has not had it's registeration renewed within 7-10 years it may be removed from the California database, meaning there will be no record available. Also, even if there is a record on file the state will not re-issue a past (expired) registration for any reason unless perhaps your government were to request such info, and even then cooperation from California would be a matter of luck as my state stands to collect no money for the assistance. :(

Give my suggestion a try and good luck! :D
So you think your project is taking forever eh? Well you've got nothing on me.....
gaston

Post by gaston »

Nice to see this images. Anyway, if the date is not correct to the modellyear they'll accept a birthday cert from VW museum for cars which are at least 30 years old.