SMOG PUMP/SUPERCHARGER?

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
94teener

SMOG PUMP/SUPERCHARGER?

Post by 94teener »

Ahhha....I don't think you can change the laws of physics.
A typical alternator can put out about 1000 watts (1.34 hp). If it has an efficiency, say for illustration purposes, of 0.90, then it will take 1111 watts (1.49 hp) from the engine to produce the 1000 watts that the alternator is capable of suppling. So at any given output of the alternator, up to the maximum of 1000 watts, the prime mover (the engine) has to put out 10% more power than the alternator supplies. Therefore, every electric device in a car, including electric motor driven accessories, requires 10% more power from the prime mover than it would if otherwise directly driven by the prime mover (the engine). If electrically driven motors were more efficent that directly driven devices, there wouldn't be any belts on the engine and that big impeller connected to the end of the crank shaft on my 914 would be driven by a big motor.
Phil
Marty

SMOG PUMP/SUPERCHARGER?

Post by Marty »

If a blower did not help make more power that it robbed - people would not use them. If a smog pump did not help make more power than they robbed - then people would not use them. Electrical load on a internal combustion motor means nothing. The alternator makes more power than is needed. Using more of the already available electicity, will not put ANY additional load on the motor. The load of any belt driven accessory is constant (unless it uses a clutch like AC). The load of the alternator is already there. In fact, most of the load is not from the alternator at all - it is from the fan that is connected to the alternator.

------------------
Marty Staggs
www.staggsracing.com
Sidewalk

SMOG PUMP/SUPERCHARGER?

Post by Sidewalk »

Using your 914 not being driven by a motor is not a good argument. More and more ships are going to electric drive for many reasons. Reliability, efficiency, and versatility are a few of the reasons.

------------------
'88 Bronco II - Sonja
'59 Bug - Stella
'00 Buell X1 - Liz
"Yes, I am a smart ass."
"I'm a DUMBASS too"

But are you gutless?
94teener

SMOG PUMP/SUPERCHARGER?

Post by 94teener »

Whatever,
Phil