Can you please help me?¿

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Lo Cash John

Can you please help me?¿

Post by Lo Cash John »

Use that Solex from the Ford Laser. It'll require the least work. Don't even bother trying to blow thru a stock VW Solex. Enough boost to make any real HP will cause enough problems with that thing to drive you crazy.
DR_ZOGG

Can you please help me?¿

Post by DR_ZOGG »

Hi i am starting to collect all the bit's to turbo my type 3 i have a ihi turbo from a 1.5 litre ford laser it's a IHI RHB5 which could deliver 18.5 psi to that engine and an intercooler from a mazda rx3. i have made a custom exhaust which allows the turbo to fit under the fan bellows but i am having trouble deciding what type of carbs to use. the ford laser had a solex carb verry similar to a volkswagen setup but i don't know how the volkswagen ones would deal with presurisation. i am wanting to build a 1914cc engine whith a strong bottom end and was also wondering what cam i should use any ideas would be great.
Boneshaker

Can you please help me?¿

Post by Boneshaker »

Hi try using a carb out of a renault turbo, that should handle pressure as it was designed to do that, i think its a solex 32 dis 931. I am still trying to put my hands on one, no luck yet.

Boneshaker
DR_ZOGG

Can you please help me?¿

Post by DR_ZOGG »

thanx for the sugestion i would use the carb rom the laser but i was having issues withe the float chamber running out of fuel by half way through 2nd gear i was running a holley blue fuel pump ran larger fuel lines and even made a surge tank up front but the problem still remained and that was on a 1.5 litre.... would you have any sugestions on what carbs i should run blow through and should i run 1 or 2? thanx in advance
SAM
moggy

Can you please help me?¿

Post by moggy »

Are you running a boost sensitive fuel regulator?
DR_ZOGG

Can you please help me?¿

Post by DR_ZOGG »

I did'nt know such a beast exised i will have to get my hands on one of them. i am pretty new to the turbo scene the laser was the first turbo car i had an i was shocked at the power they make and now i wanna make something that flys. my main concern with the laser carb is that the float chamber is even smaller than the one on the volkswagen carbs. i have seen that some of you have been useing holleys on draw through setups could i use the 350 holley that i have on a blow through setup?
Lo Cash John

Can you please help me?¿

Post by Lo Cash John »

Don't re-invent the wheel just yet. The Laser carb was designed with blow-thru turbos in mind. The Holley was not.
What was happening with the lack of fuel was as follows.
1) At idle, or off boost no problems. Right?
2) On boost for a few seconds and it'd lean out/loose power. Right? If so read on...
What happened was the pressure in the carb's float bowl (air pressure from the turbo) became higher than the fuel pressure from the fuel pump. When that happened fuel flow stopped.

Solution: Keep fuel pressure to float bowl about 3 pounds higher than boost pressure. Using the fuel pressue regulator from the Laser should do this (though I have never seen a Laser) or buy/build a rising rate regulator that gets a pressure signal from the intake below (I think) the carb.
At idle or off boost, you have manifold vacuum so you get low fuel pressure. This is good. On boost the extra air pressure in the intake is applied to the regulator and the fuel pressure rises at the same rate (approximately) as the boost. This is VERY GOOD.
Give it a go and see what happens. Also, invest in an O2 sensor and Lean/Rich gauge. It will pay for itself in un-broken parts.
DR_ZOGG

Can you please help me?¿

Post by DR_ZOGG »

thanx for that. what u said is exactly what used to happen when i bought the laser someone had been stuffing arround with it the carb that was on it (i now have) is not the orriginal item and they also had the wrong fuel pump on it so when i set it up on the volkswagen i will try one of these fuel regs also will i need just the one carb or will i need two ?
notch69

Can you please help me?¿

Post by notch69 »

Just pushing this up a bit