GrassRoots MotorSports $2002 Challenge

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
74Super

Post by 74Super »

This winter I'll be building a bug for the GrassRoots MotorSports $2002 Challenge. Some of you might be interested in this.
Check out: http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/

With a budget of $2002, you buy and build your vehicle to compete on the 1/4 mile, and an autocross course, and a concours event.

So, I am trying to build a 12sec drag car(hopefully 12 sec Image , 12-13sec seems to be a competitive time for this event based on last year's times), which will also put in respectable autocross times while looking half way decent for the concours event for less than $2002.

I have a few 1974 SuperBeetles of varying cost lying about from which I might be able to slap together a decent competitor. The Super would make a good base for an autocross car since the Strut front end handles well when tight--i.e. new bushings. Plus one of the cars came with some nice aluminum rims with Pirelli HP tires--fine for autocross, not so great for the 1/4 mile, but I'm working on that.

While I considered a T4 engine, I do not have a good running example handy; but, I have another Super that came with a 1776 engine with decent heads and a lightened flywheel; PO just had a bad main seal and drenched his clutch with oil so he gave up. I just need to try and round up a CW crank--stroked if possible--and see if I can't get abit more displacement out of her and hence some more HP. I'm also considering using a junkyard turbo. I have slews of IDFs and DRLAs; however, I'd need a DCOE I think for a draw thru turbo system. I figure a turbo'd 1914 might give me what I need as long as my budget motor doesn't blow up on me. Image

That's "all" I'm doing this winter...and I can't start work until after Christmas and I have to be done by mid-Feb. The event is Feb 22-23 if I recall correctly.

If you're interested in entering a car, go to the GRM website, and be prepared to handover an itemized budget of your car. Entry fee is $75 and it takes place down in FL around the Orlando area.

Maybe I'll see some of you there.
Doug

------------------
**Don't forget to remove "spam" to send me mail**
Magoo

Post by Magoo »

You don't NEED a dcoe you can fab up a manifold out of exhaust pipe if you have a modicum of welding skills for a few bucks.Years ago I made a manifold for an old Stromberg carb off a Studebaker out of a chunk of square aluminum tubing and three pieces of flat stock.One blocked off the end,the second attched to the turbo intake and the thrid was welded to the open top of the tube .The top plate was then drilled to accomodate the bolt patern of the 2 bbl carb. Also 2-3 years ago I saw a setup using an IDA on a draw through....Use your imagination and the stuff you have,and GOOD LUCK!!!!