ready made forced air supply?

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
MagOO

Post by MagOO »

This trick has been around since at least the early sixties,and it does work....Dave Kawell,famous for 'coons and boost, tried it and documented the results in adyno test he ran with hot vws back in the mid to late 80's. A mild 1600 with stock carb and a coupla bolt ons picked up about 4 hp at 5000 rpm but overboost at idel caused fuel to drip from the carb on tick over...and as the man says,you lose you aircleaner....
Madasahatter

Post by Madasahatter »

Errrm, as the type 1 motors fan system creates a lot of forced air pressure for the cooling and heating, I was wondering about using the redundant air that would have been sent to the heater exchangers prior to the fitment of a merged zorst to supply the twin carbs with a pressurised air supply ala super/turbo charger?

Anyone tried it?

Your thoughts and feed back would be appreciated B4 I try it and blow my mota big stylee!
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

It has been done. Don't waste your time.

Think about air filtering also.

Steve
57 Magnacharger

Post by 57 Magnacharger »

Yes I knew this fella who thought this was a great move. His nickname was "frosty" ( as in silver frost .. Australian for thin silver paint from spray can ) He did the connections but it didnt do a thing. He even tried running the fan extra fast. ( thank goodness it was a stock motor and couldnt rev.. because fans can let go at high revs )Running the fan extra fast actually made the car go a little slower . You just cant get the required air flow from the fan to over supply the motor and start creating a boost condition.
Some other free thinking ideas from "frosty" were the running of methanol in a standard motor ( he claims it seemed alittle bit better but was too expensive ) , Cuttin ( Hacking ) a perfectly good beetle into a horrid home made BAJA so he could run gigantic rear wheels ( this gave him great top end performance down very steep hills.)
Dont let all this negativity stop you from coming up with some revolutionary improvement. Keep thinking , Glenn.
madasahatter

Post by madasahatter »

Thanks saved me wasting my time playing about with that then. Image