CB High-Flow End Castings

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
mrblyoung

CB High-Flow End Castings

Post by mrblyoung »

Hey guys.

Quick question - how many people out here have used the CB high flow end castings with good results? Or have seen people use them with good results?

Collecting parts for a 2176cc turbo motor. Reconfiguring a brand new long block that I acquired and have been collecting parts for my intake setup.

I am planning to do a single throttle body blow through setup for simplicity reasons. Currently running dual 40mm throttle bodies on my NA 2276 and can't wait to go to a single throttle body and no linkage! But being that this motor is almost 2.2 liters, I am looking at how to make a setup that breathes well. I picked up a 60mm throttle body off an Acura GSR thats super nice, compact and uncluttered, so next step is the intake manifold!

I picked up a set of the CB High Flow end castings for a really low cost, but they are pretty massive and will take some clearance work to clear the fan shroud. I am set on using my OG Thing Shroud to provide better cooling than the CB 36hp shroud on my current motor. Its not super drastic, but it willl take some work to make everything clear.

I know some people are using the stock sized end castings that CB is now selling again, but I think those are too small for my needs. I see a lot of you guys are making your own intakes basically building plenums on top of cut down dual carb manifolds. I was hoping my setup could be pulled from the car without having to take everything off. Thats why on paper, I thought the high-flows were the answer to my problems being that they state they flow 50% more than the stock sized ones.

What is the consensus of this forum? Are the CB High-Flows worthwhile? Are they garbage? Should I sell the ones I picked up and go a different route?

Let me hear your thoughts!
gbaker770

Re: CB High-Flow End Castings

Post by gbaker770 »

My experience so far has not been good. They are as expensive as hell in the first place and mine were used as a guinea pig for the new square port heads. They ended up coming out like poop and will need additional work. They we unwilling to fix them or take them back. If I was going to do it again I would have someone make some, which I still might do and chalk up my $400 loss as a kick in the balls.
gbaker770

Post by gbaker770 »

I also failed to mention they drilled them for injectors when I didn’t order them that way. There response was to just plug them.
mrblyoung

Post by mrblyoung »

Yikes. Thats unfortunate! Sounds like a poor example of customer service on CB's part.

Who else has used these things? Maybe the lack of responses just shows how few people are using these things? I wonder if it is due to performance issues and maybe they don't work well, or if it is just the cost of the end castings that deters people from trying them out?
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

I'm just using the standard sized ones for my 1776 single TB. My only complaint that I have since overcome (or so I hope so with continued driving on the car) is that the only thing really holding the injectors/fuel rail to the manifolds is one of those small screws used to hold the cooling tin to the shroud. I used lock-tite and am praying that continued 20+lbs of boost don't blow them off.
'74 Standard- 2084T, MS3X3
'76 Westy- Stock 2.0L L-Jet
My Megasquirt Turbo Build
2084 Turbo Build
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Kangaboy, Dubshop makes nice upgrade hold down brackets for the cb end castings.
I heard the casting quality and fit/finish is very poor on the big high flow units.
gbaker770

Post by gbaker770 »

I will say this about them. When they get finished correctly they should way outflow the welded units I had. There probably wouldn’t have been an issue if it was any one of there other 044 CNC head designs. I just didn’t care for the response after I already spent almost $1500 on a set of heads before manifolds. Ive decided to go EFI now so the injector holes will be fine. I’m hoping after welding and reporting that these things kick ass.