Help me choose a turbo!!

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Sideswipe

Help me choose a turbo!!

Post by Sideswipe »

So I've been lurking on this site and gathering as much info as I can for the past year or so on turbocharging my 1955cc Ghia. I'm planning to have Mario (Dubshop) put together a Megasquirt MS2 based system running dual CB throttle bodies and Mario's crank trigger ignition setup. I am also planning to run CB's hide-away turbo header. I don't plan to run more than 15 psi of boost.

I'm trying to find an inexpensive turbo that I'm not compromising too much on quality. I was thinking of using an AGP .48/.70 T3/T4 turbo like what CB sells. Any opinions on these? Is there a better choice at a comparable price point?

Also, any recommendations on a blow off valve and wastegate?
rubenski

Re: Help me choose a turbo!!

Post by rubenski »

I got the ultragate38 wastegate and the v port pro that cb sells.
Havent fitted them yet but quality is verry nice!

I cant advise you for the turbo ..
Better to be blown than to suck!
madmike

Post by madmike »

A Good wastegate is a must ,, don't go cheap mine's a Tial 38mm. but my turbo is just a flea bay special :roll: (just change it every other year :lol: ) as for a blow off valve check with Art he's running some inexpensive Bosch unit i think,, better have some good fuel to run 15 lbs. :wink: 8) :lol:
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

A single throttle body is much simpler and less costly to purchase and plumb for that matter.
The performance difference is going to be not worth the PITA you will have with extra plumbing, syncing and linkage issues to justify the install.

I use a Bosch Valve for my BOV...I picked it up off Ebay for about $12.00 shipped to my door. It's been working for 7 years and 34,000 miles at over 20 lbs. boost.
Mine is from a Saab 9-3 turbo.......looks like they have gone up in price since most are listed at $49.00 now
Here is on for $20.00............

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-2-7t-034- ... m570.l1313
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Sideswipe

Post by Sideswipe »

I contacted Shag for a turbo, I'll see what he has to offer. I know a lot of folks have had good luck with the Ebay china turbos, but honestly I'm scared of using those. I'd hate to have it come apart and send trash into my motor.
Sideswipe

Post by Sideswipe »

Clonebug wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:48 am A single throttle body is much simpler and less costly to purchase and plumb for that matter.
The performance difference is going to be not worth the PITA you will have with extra plumbing, syncing and linkage issues to justify the install.

I use a Bosch Valve for my BOV...I picked it up off Ebay for about $12.00 shipped to my door. It's been working for 7 years and 34,000 miles at over 20 lbs. boost.
Mine is from a Saab 9-3 turbo.......looks like they have gone up in price since most are listed at $49.00 now

CLonebug,

Is there any off the shelf plumbing for a single TB setup? The reason I've planned to go dual Weber style TB's is because I'm already running a pair of IDF's, so I've already got manifolds and linkage that will work with the FI setup.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Vw had a FI setup.

Uses stock style intake manifolds and a single tb.

Also know as the mexi-efi bugs.

Better to be blown than to suck!
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Sideswipe wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:54 am
Clonebug wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:48 am A single throttle body is much simpler and less costly to purchase and plumb for that matter.

CLonebug,

Is there any off the shelf plumbing for a single TB setup? The reason I've planned to go dual Weber style TB's is because I'm already running a pair of IDF's, so I've already got manifolds and linkage that will work with the FI setup.
I used CB Performance FI intakes and built the center section myself out of tubing. I used the Stock German FI Throttle body from the 76-79 Beetle.
I also used a FI fan shroud to be able to use the stock throttle cable location.
It's all in my build probably around page 70.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... start=1035

Build the system your way.....You are the Engineer and the mechanic and you know what works best for you.

I prefer Single TB but I had a lot of the parts already so that is what I did. If you have all those dual TB parts you might as well use them but you will have more money into building it or buying parts than what a single would cost.
I picked up my TB for less than $20.00. It's all a matter of making it fit your goals.

My reasoning for a single is easier tuning due to no syncing......sycing is a PITA..... and worse when you have turbo tubing bolted on and all the other stuff needed to make it work.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.