How to tune Water Injection

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
GARRICK.CLARK

How to tune Water Injection

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

Hi Turbo Tuners.
I need to no how to tune my motor with the AEM water injection kit I have installed.
Do I try and get the most timing and the most boost until I hear pinging then pull over and put the fuse back in to activate the water pump THEN test again.
My AFR is 11.5 in boost mode.
Using 95 octane.

Thanks G.C.
buguy

Re: How to tune Water Injection

Post by buguy »

That's a good question. I've never even thought about how you tune them.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Following
Better to be blown than to suck!
GARRICK.CLARK

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

Strange as it sounds it feels better without the water.

By the way my motor seams to need a lot of boost retard to stop ping. I'm using the dual vac can method. It does work to a point.
This might be a strange way to time a motor but Here it is.
034 dual vac can
Using points.
static 5 degrees plus vac advance at idle.
The Vac advance is piped into the manifold BEFORE the carb, so its advancing at idle, when it boosts the vac advance signal to the vac can turns into boost retard. The 034 is mechanically limited to 24 total plus what vac advance gives me. I can get 1 bar boost into it with out ping.
7.5 comp.
Looking for 1.5 bar.
Stuck at 1 bar.
I thought water/meth would achieve it as long as its set up to come in at the right time etc.
buguy

Post by buguy »

How are you fueling it? Blowthrough?
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

You will need to add enough water at the correct time to cool your IAT's down to 130-140 degree F and then run as low as 18 degrees timing.
That's what it took to get mine to that boost level and keep detonation in check. You will always be at the ragged edge though......

There is a formula on the RB Racing sight and Devil's Own sight that you can fill in the blanks and it will tell you how many cc's/min you need to add.

Other than that it is trial and error.......how many times can you get detonation while testing before you have a ticking time bomb........how lucky do you feel????? ;)
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
GARRICK.CLARK

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

Its Blow through buguy.

Ok, The trial and error thing is what I'm doing to be fair. I'll carry on testing, AS soon as I hear det I'm off the pedal.
I'll look at devils own site, see what nozzle I need.
Last edited by GARRICK.CLARK on Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Are you only running 18° even with all of the water and meth clone?
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Chip Birks wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:40 pm Are you only running 18° even with all of the water and meth clone?
I was at 18* at 22 lbs with 140-170 degree IAT's running 3.0 gph with two nozzles without the intercooler. It was conservative for a worse case scenario to keep it from pinging.

I am now at 25* at 24 lbs boost and 3.0 gph along with the intercooler and 107 degree IAT's in this warmer weather.
When it is cooler out I actually drop IAT's compared to cruise at full boost.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Okay, good. That sounds better :D
GARRICK.CLARK

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

Think I'll lock my timing to get an idea what my max total timing is at 1 bar and 11.5 AFR with the water switched on without hearing DET. I'll tweak it up till I hear it.
GARRICK.CLARK

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

Well I learned something about my P.O.S.
I fitted a locked 009. static set the timing at 20 degree and went for a drive. First thing I noticed was it is now very nippy and feels a lot better to drive, Only thing is now when I get to 1 bar the pinging is there,
GARRICK.CLARK

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

Tried something different today, I fitted the 034 and locked the timing at 24*. Hooked up the dual vac can to just work in retard mode. That seams to work quiet well.
buguy

Post by buguy »

That's awesome. Whatever works man!
GARRICK.CLARK

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

Thanks. I found out for myself today that the water injection DOES suppress ping.
Went out for a short drive .ping ping, pulled over and the nylon water pipe had blown off the push fit injector, re fit it and no ping, well it kept doing it, had to change the nylon pipe for some devils own pipe which has a bigger O.D and now doesn't blow off and the motor doesn't ping. Also, I've tuned it so the injector starts working at 1psi and pumps water at a low pressure into the manifold, then at 5psi onwards the water pump gives its all.