Who makes this turbo header?

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
sidemarkers

Who makes this turbo header?

Post by sidemarkers »

Is the verdict out on this design. Are they available in stainless?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DerrickfromNC

Re: Who makes this turbo header?

Post by DerrickfromNC »

That looks like the turbo header that was sold by DRD which is no longer in business. I believe those header were built by A1 headers. Do a google search. Let us know if A1 still makes this setup cause I’m interested also.
sidemarkers

Post by sidemarkers »

DRD, that's right...I knew it started with a D.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I'm about to try making my own similar to that. Cross your fingers for me!
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I've had that header on my car for 8 years. I'll be replacing it over the winter. I didn't go with stainless and made the mistake of wrapping it for a year or two. Definitely didn't do it any favors. Its still functional, but its time to reconfigure, and something custom built will do better for me. Otherwise I've loved it. It makes it pretty easy to build exhausts compared to CBs hideaway. Call Tiger at A1, I'd bet he'd build it however you want.
buguy

Post by buguy »

8 years is pretty good for a turbo exhaust I would think.
sidemarkers

Post by sidemarkers »

buguy wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 3:48 pm I'm about to try making my own similar to that. Cross your fingers for me!
Schedule 40?
sidemarkers

Post by sidemarkers »

Chip Birks wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 5:07 pm I've had that header on my car for 8 years. I'll be replacing it over the winter. I didn't go with stainless and made the mistake of wrapping it for a year or two. Definitely didn't do it any favors. Its still functional, but its time to reconfigure, and something custom built will do better for me. Otherwise I've loved it. It makes it pretty easy to build exhausts compared to CBs hideaway. Call Tiger at A1, I'd bet he'd build it however you want.
I'd like stainless if that's an option. I'll have to give him a call. If its not available the car is getting a header for two small turbos.

Does it sit the turbo high enough for correct oil drainback?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

sidemarkers wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 9:18 pm
Chip Birks wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 5:07 pm I've had that header on my car for 8 years. I'll be replacing it over the winter. I didn't go with stainless and made the mistake of wrapping it for a year or two. Definitely didn't do it any favors. Its still functional, but its time to reconfigure, and something custom built will do better for me. Otherwise I've loved it. It makes it pretty easy to build exhausts compared to CBs hideaway. Call Tiger at A1, I'd bet he'd build it however you want.
I'd like stainless if that's an option. I'll have to give him a call. If its not available the car is getting a header for two small turbos.

Does it sit the turbo high enough for correct oil drainback?
I've never had drainage issues. I have 2 not small turbos hanging off of mine now :D
buguy

Post by buguy »

sidemarkers wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 9:10 pm
buguy wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 3:48 pm I'm about to try making my own similar to that. Cross your fingers for me!
Schedule 40?
No. Mild steel exhaust tube. Im just thinking about making it real similar to the A1/DRD.
DerrickfromNC

Post by DerrickfromNC »

Gonna do t3/t4 turbo flange?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I would recommend putting the turbo on the other side if possible. Oil line routing sucks real bad in its current home.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

turbo on the right?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Yes
buguy

Post by buguy »

I run a Subaru turbo so no T3 flange for me.
Chip how would the turbo on the right solve routing problems? Oil to or oil from turbo issues?