modified header extractor for hidden turbo

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Chip Birks

Re: modified header extractor for hidden turbo

Post by Chip Birks »

Mild steel flanges? Thats disappointing! I hacked my j-tube flanges off and went with vbands this year. So much nicer!
CHAse580

Post by CHAse580 »

I forget why, but he recommended them over stainless. In hindsight v band would be preferable as my turbo exhaust is v band.
petew

Post by petew »

I'd strongly suggest ceramic coating considering you already have 700 bucks in it, may as well go the whole hog. It'll save your flanges and help you spool up faster.
sidemarkers

Post by sidemarkers »

CHAse580 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:05 am Finally got the header. I actually paid $595 for the completed header, as I paid a $100 deposit when I ordered it way back when...

Probably spray it with hi temp paint and wrap it. The flanges are mild steel so they still need some protection from the elements.
What's going on here? Are these fixed or slip joints?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CHAse580

Post by CHAse580 »

They are slip joints. Fitment of this header was a pain, especially with a wide sump and the engine in the car. I don't know how it could be done without the slip joints. I had to relocate my turbo oil return and it is impossible to get on/off the 3/4 valve cover without taking off the bail. The quality of the header is great and the location of the wastegate is better than the CB unit; albeit not put at an optimal angle for exhaust gases.

I used Ultra Copper in the joints but will weld when the engine is outside the car for a trans swap.
Last edited by CHAse580 on Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Slip joints. Set your width, then weld them up if you are nervous about leakage. Thats what I did.