modified header extractor for hidden turbo

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
theKbStockpiler

modified header extractor for hidden turbo

Post by theKbStockpiler »

Hi, has anyone used a regular header or modified one with a hidden turbo set up or have a link to one. It looks like the only game in town is the CB one but the primaries are different length so I'm thinking outside the box.
Super beetle with attitude
buguy

Re: modified header extractor for hidden turbo

Post by buguy »

I used a regular header when I first did mine and clone uses a regular header too.
theKbStockpiler

I should have stated that I wanted the turbo mostly under the engine tin at the back of the engine.
With the CB header they run the primaries low so the turbo can be mounted on above them but the primaries are not equal length.

If the primaries are less direct with other then 90 degree bends , they are spread around between the case and the apron so the turbo would not have a chance of slipping in there.

I think with a extractor/header style that the prrimares have mostley 90 degree bends in them, the turbo could be slipped in on one side or the other of them.
theKbStockpiler

Here's another interesting one that although is not equal length looks like it would adapt well.

buguy

Post by buguy »

I would just get a regular header and a 180 degree U bend and put the turbo wherever you want.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I use an A1 hideaway header. There is nothing off the shelf that is equal length. May not be as important as you think. Not like you are going to get any fantastic scavenging when you have a turbo bolted up. The header pressurizes just like your intake does under boost. Just buy something that fits and call it good. Don't over think or over complicate it.
theKbStockpiler

I would rather the engines Power pulses were even so it is not out of balance and the primaries aid the low end and not the top end where the turbo should be at full boost. I don't see the point of making a compromise while at the planning stage. I don't see much Blow Through stuff for reference at this point so this thread should help.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

buguy wrote:I would just get a regular header and a 180 degree U bend and put the turbo wherever you want.
X2.
Better to be blown than to suck!
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

theKbStockpiler wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:13 am I would rather the engines Power pulses were even so it is not out of balance and the primaries aid the low end and not the top end where the turbo should be at full boost. I don't see the point of making a compromise while at the planning stage. I don't see much Blow Through stuff for reference at this point so this thread should help.
I won't lie, I'm also in the planning stages for a new exhaust build, and it will be pretty equal, at least as close as I can. But I will compromise where I need to for function and such. I think your best option is to either buy a nice merged header setup and modify it, or start from scratch and build your own. My goal isn't to build a laggy setup though, ideally mine will spool fast, make big power and rev to the moon.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

I think if you worry much about a laggy engine you should search a bit harder for a more suitable turbo.

Or put some more $$$ on the table.
Better to be blown than to suck!
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

rubenski wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:01 am I think if you worry much about a laggy engine you should search a bit harder for a more suitable turbo.

Or put some more $$$ on the table.
He wants a slow to respond setup
buguy

Post by buguy »

I think the RAD header is the only one I've ever seen that looks to be pretty equal. http://rodneyadamsdesigns.com/products/ ... urbo-kits/
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

My plan is pretty similar. Sort of.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah if I built one I would do it like that. Looks like it tucks up nice and tight and there are no 4 into 1 to have to try to make. Or if you have an extra $700 you could buy his in stainless.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

buguy wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:02 pm Yeah if I built one I would do it like that. Looks like it tucks up nice and tight and there are no 4 into 1 to have to try to make. Or if you have an extra $700 you could buy his in stainless.
Mine will be stainless, but configured a bit different.