Mercedes 300D turbo experience

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
theKbStockpiler

Mercedes 300D turbo experience

Post by theKbStockpiler »

I was pondering diesel Mercedes turbos for a possible donor and they have a waste gate controller mounted directly on the turbine housing. It's also adjustable. The waste gate valve is in the same position as other T3's. It appears from pictures that if the compressor housing is clocked for ACVW use the actuator will at least be close to interfering with the housing if not interfering.

So my question is does anyone see this as a donor to pass on? Thanks for your expertise!
Super beetle with attitude
Clonebug

Re: Mercedes 300D turbo experience

Post by Clonebug »

Without seeing a pic of one or spending time researching it would be difficult to make a call on that turbo. If you get it dirt cheap it might be worth a try......dirt cheap is $20.00.......you will be spending money on flanges and plumbing so by the time it's installed you will have $200.00 plus into it.

My gut feeling is no...it wouldn't be a good match since that diesel engine might put out 150 hp.. They don't over build the turbos on an OEM vehicle so while you might have great low end boost you will run out of air if the turbo can't pump enough.

I have no idea what you are building since you don't keep all your questions in a build thread......but you are probably looking for a turbo that will support 250 to 350 hp. That puts you in the 350-500 CFM output.
Find a turbo that will support that and you might have a better match.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
theKbStockpiler

Specs:
-Model: Garrett/Airesearch TA0310 (T3 Series)
-Compressor Trim: 50
-Compressor Housing a/r: .42
-Turbine Housing a/r: .48
-9psi wastegate
I just found this link. :oops:

I'm planning on building a 1904 with a mild cam and trying to graft a 914 speed density system on it. I want it to spool on the late side.

mercedes diesel 300 D 3.0 turbo

I don't live in a working mans town so there isn't much used available. Most salvage yard turbo's go for $70 and are not around the corner.
Most of the T3's and TD05's on Ebay have cracked turbine housings or are sold without them.

A new T3 is priced high to begin with AND doesn't come with a waste gate assembly or anything else. The only other choice that is on the small side is a Volvo Td04-16 but they are expensive used and or are hard to find.

Another option would be to buy a plentiful Volvo Td04-15 and put a 9 blade turbine in it..
Last edited by theKbStockpiler on Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buguy

Post by buguy »

That's the same size turbo I had on mine. It spooled a little late for me on my 1600 so I can't tell you much about it. Probably work just fine on your engine I would guess. My waste gate didn't look like that though. I think mine was a TB03 or something like that.
theKbStockpiler

I think that turbo in the image is actually a T0301 and not a T0310. I think the Volvo gas version is a T0326.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yes. TBO326 is what I have.