Throw out all your old ideas about boosted tuning!

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Wally

Re: Throw out all your old ideas about boosted tuning!

Post by Wally »

Fuel consumption is however not directly a main purpose of these heads nor for my build in general...
Maybe at a later date when I get bored a bit :lol:

But for interest sake: why would you want direct injection so badly? (BTW I don't think direct injection is key here, at all)

The main thought break-through I see here is the combination of super high CR and using extremely lean mixtures. The idea being that extremely lean is a b*tch to ignite and hence very knock resistant. Using those two combined makes - of course- for a super efficient and clean (hardly NOx) engine.

Also cool and logical is that they use 87 octane. High octane is hard to ignite of course, but it also might burn slower for the same reason it is so ignite resistant? Anyone can confirm this?
As they want a super quick burn, using a fast burning fuel (ie low octane if thats correct to assume) makes sense again also.

Very cool to watch the vid indeed! Tnx!
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

They are pushing 20+ psi boost at rich mixtures and making >200++HP out of 2L motors with 12-14:1 CR on pump gas, low overlap cams and full warranties.

As magic is out of the question, I suspect direct injection has something to do with it... :wink:

the high injection pressures (700-2400 PSI) allow for very fine atomization, and given the right hardware they can make a very fast burning air/fuel mix pretty easily, particularly using a stratified charge setup, where a richer late fuel shot around the plugs can light off super lean mixtures a plain spark could not.

I don't have that sort of hardware to play with, but the pure performance benefits still work on lower tech motors that can't pull off all the spray guided and multi-injector-shot per cycle magic .
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Piledriver wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:49 pm They are pushing 20+ psi boost at rich mixtures and making >200++HP out of 2L motors with 12-14:1 CR on pump gas, low overlap cams and full warranties.
You know ^^ is not really a big feat right? Even my completely stock longblock 914 2.0 engine did 220hp with the stock low overlap cam and rockers and 270 with a ratio rocker at just 15 psi on pump fuel.
No warrenties though :-)
the high injection pressures (700-2400 PSI) allow for very fine atomization, and given the right hardware they can make a very fast burning air/fuel mix pretty easily, particularly using a stratified charge setup, where a richer late fuel shot around the plugs can light off super lean mixtures a plain spark could not.

I don't have that sort of hardware to play with, but the pure performance benefits still work on lower tech motors that can't pull off all the spray guided and multi-injector-shot per cycle magic .
Of course the extreem high fuel pressures are a benefit of direct injection and make leaner mixtures that still stay homogeneous in mixture quality, possible. I guess I forgot that feature of direct injection for a moment :oops: :lol:
Stratification in the mixture however is something I don't think we can duplicate with our gear.. :(
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I was kinda sandbagging, the 2.3L ecoboosts are making 350 HP/350 tq these days, but admittedly are only running 10:1 CR.

I still want some of that, but not enough to go buy a whole Ford. :twisted:
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Haha! Good stuff Pile!
petew

Post by petew »

Piledriver wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:53 pm I was kinda sandbagging, the 2.3L ecoboosts are making 350 HP/350 tq these days, but admittedly are only running 10:1 CR.

I still want some of that, but not enough to go buy a whole Ford. :twisted:
You know the Focus RS was eating it's head gaskets. So all those OEM kilawasps are not always as awesome as they'd have you think. ;)