Draw through to full EFI

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
advinnie

Draw through to full EFI

Post by advinnie »

Hi all I have a 1600 draw through turbo bug witch is running sweet but I’m thinking of going down the injection route and was wondering if any of you lot have done this and if so is it better and in what way?
And what parts will I need?
Cheers
buguy

Re: Draw through to full EFI

Post by buguy »

I am doing the exact same thing and asked the exact question! If you take a look through my post (which is right below this one at the moment) it may answer some of your questions. I will tell you now that what I have learned so far is that it a very broad question with many answers. There seems to be a hundred ways to go about it. Something your going to need to know is what exactly you want to do. Or maybe what you want it to do. Having a budget and timeframe will kind of dictate how you go about it. You can buy a very complete kit, bolt it on, tune it and go if you don't mind spending money. If your tight like me, you will have to source some used parts.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

This may sound silly but I’m totally new and still learning fuel injection, but with fuel injection I don’t wed a ecu that controls spark and fuel or just spark?
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

crank trigger pulley £210
coil pack and plug wires £70
fuel pump and regulator £65
Wiring harness £220
Temp sensors air and head £55
Ecu £650

Throttle with injector fuel rail and TPS £250

Total £1520

plus £100 for lambda sensor optional but maybe you already have a wideband ?

This is the quote if got for a full EFI set up that uses a single throttle body that bolts to the stock inlet manifold
Does this sound right?
madmike

Post by madmike »

Paging Art,,,,, :lol: :lol: :lol: You've converted another :lol: :lol: :lol:
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Not yet I’m still wondering if the £1500 is worth it considering how well the bugs driving at the moment
buguy

Post by buguy »

I don't see a header on there or the turbo to throttle body pipe.
You will need bigger fuel line ran probably and most likely a return line unless you are dead heading the fuel.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Also I would say if your happy with how it runs, and your happy with the performance level, I'd leave it. But if your going to want more boost you might consider efi more. You will want the full control over everything if your going to push it. I would be damn sure you have a good AFR system in place though. My car ran great when I set up my carb, and when I put my AFR gauge in I was lean everywhere. I surely would have done lots of damage if I would have driven it much the way it was.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

At the moment I’m running the stock fuel line to the rear of the car and a 8mm return line back to the tank how much bigger must the fuel line be?
The turbo will be staying in the same place and I will be using the stock inlet manifold and ends with a single throttle body bolted to it then using a boost hose to connect the turbo to the throttle body ( my turbo sits up high where the stock air cleaner would be)
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Put the fuel pump and filter under the tank and you can use the 8mm line for pressure and the stock line for return.
Find a stock German Bug fuel regulator for cheap and use that. It fits the return line size perfectly.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

😁
Dan Dryden

Post by Dan Dryden »

advinnie wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:04 am crank trigger pulley £210
Wiring harness £220
Ecu £650

Total £1520

This is the quote if got for a full EFI set up that uses a single throttle body that bolts to the stock inlet manifold
Does this sound right?
I scavenged a lot of my parts from the scrapyard / eBay.
My biggest investment was probably my ECU and loom. The rest were OEM parts from other car manufacturers:
  • 48mm Alloy Throttle Body from Rover K-Series engine (Don't use the plastic ones).
  • Ford Coil Pack - I made my own HT leads.
  • Injectors from a Rover 220 Turbo (Just source some from a car which produces similar to power you hope to achieve).
  • Rover 220 Turbo fuel pressure regulator - (My thinking at the time was that it would match the injectors).
  • CB Performance end castings and furl rails.
The throttle body has a TPS sensor built into it, so that gets around adapting one to fit.

If I were parts gathering now, I would buy a trigger wheel set and coil on plugs set ups from The Dubshop.
slowsixtyduece

Post by slowsixtyduece »

crank trigger pulley £210
Wiring harness £220
Ecu £650

Total £1520

What ECU? What pump and regulator?

Other things you (may) still need:
-injectors
-MAP sensor...unless your ECU has one built in or doesnt need one (?)
-fuel line fittings and hose
-fuel filters: pre pump and post pump
-depending on the ECU, you may need relays for fuel pump on/off, fan control, etc.
-fusing/wiring to the ECU itself, etc. (unless the wiring harness includes this)

The beauty of EFI is that, with the right system, you can log everything, review the logs and make necessary changes, ultimately tuning your motor to its fullest most optimal potential. Also, you can tune from your car; no more trips back and forth to the engine to change jets, etc. Depending on your ECU, you can also have full ignition/timing control, which I find to be extremely valuable for ignition tuning with a turbo. It would be difficult for me to go back to carb(s), especially with a turbo VW. EFI just has so much more control and flexibility, especially if you are willing to spend the hours to learn your system and test and tune. Once its setup, its smooth, consistent and can be transfered to a new motor if need be.

However, with all that being said, if you have taken the time to really tune your carb-ed car and it runs very well, I would enjoy it as it is for a while. :D
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

I'm going to wait till the winter now until I go EFI cause she's running so good at the moment I should really enjoy her for a while rather than taking it about and missing an other summer with her
buguy

Post by buguy »

I agree. Hell you may never want to do it.