EFI parts gathering

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
buguy

EFI parts gathering

Post by buguy »

Ok so with all the discussion about EFI, I wanted to start a thread for myself and maybe others that also are looking into something like this.
I should start with, I know absolutely nothing about FI. I want to research, but it's tough when you don't really even know what you need to read up on.
I really don't even know for sure what to ask. So maybe we should just start with the ECU. I looked at some on Mario's site and DIYautotune. I guess right off the bat I don't really know the difference between MS2, MS3, MS3 pro.. Etc...
It seems maybe its a different software and maybe what ignition your going to run. Can someone point me in the right direction? I thought about just sending an email to Mario, but I didn't really want to just send a vague email with zero information.
Also I'm not looking for the cheapest thing, I just want to spend wisely. I'm also worried about buying way more than I need.
Some things I would like to have are (and this list may grow once I know what all it can do):
Fuel control
Ignition
Boost control
Water injection
Tach
AFR input
Launch control
What are your thoughts? I'd like to build it myself, but I'm betting the cost difference between a kit and one assembled isn't enough to make it worth it for me.
Clonebug

Re: EFI parts gathering

Post by Clonebug »

I have to give kudo's to Mario.

He has some really good stuff.

His harnesses with connectors are excellent with the twisted pair wires and sheathing on each piece and you can hardly do it yourself for the price he charges. Just get it with enough wire so you can trim the length after you lay it all out.......You ARE going to plan it all out and install it nice and neat the first time right?????
All his harnesses are color coded to a chart he gives you so you can always look to refresh yourself on how you did it or find the wire you hooked up wrong. :oops:
His Crank triggers are beautiful and worth every penny......if you already have an aluminum pulley you can just send it to him and have it machined to save a few bucks instead of buying a new on.

As far as intakes, you have lots of choices but a single TB and CB FI endpieces are a very simple and robust solution. Buy the stock style Endpieces only and if you want a nice looking fuel system you can get Mario's cool fuel rails and holders to make it simple to hide everything behind the shroud. They aren't really cheap but they sure look nice. Actually they are $140.00 vs $70.00 for CB's so if you don't buy the CB ones you aren't out too much more. Mario also has the Rail holders and injector holders which are better than the CB version.
Start looking for a compact Throttle Body from a Volvo. Anything from 45-52mm will work depending on engine size.

You can do without the relay board but it makes for a little more wiring on your part. I like my Relay board and have every terminal filled and then some. It does save the cost of the board and the relay cable though.

Start looking for injectors. If you are running a 1600 then 32 lb. injectors are the smallest you want to go......they will support over 200 hp.
If you want more hp than that you might as well find some 45 lb. injectors good for about 288 hp

Fuel pumps are easy to find since they are available new at most any FLAPS if you want that. Most any Bosch style pump will work. I like my Volvo pump since it has a nice big inlet at 1/2 inch and seems to work well right off the stock tank.

Mario has coils available and they use standard wires.......an easy solution......you can go find one in the junk too...they are fairly common. I use the Ford coil since I have it but it takes special plug ends only the EDIS coil uses.

You need a cheap Laptop......I bought a new Lenovo for $229.00 but there are cheaper ones out there. I use a bluetooth adapter on mine for wireless hookup. You will need Tunerstudio......there is a free version but it's worth buying the registered version for the upgrades. Same with Megalog viewer. You can start out with the free ones just to get the feel of it.

You will need to run another fuel line........fairly simple and lots of ways to do it. Just go for 5/16ths for ease of use.....it supports plenty of hp.

Find a stock German fuel regulator......either online or off an old bug. You can use others too.....it needs to be boost referenced.

Mario has the best sensor solutions I feel. IAT and CLT. You will need a TPS also. I found mine at a Swap Meet of all places for $5.00.

You might have to dig deep but Mario has the coolest wiring setup in his Bug you can ever find.....study it and learn how to do it right.
Planning saves a lot of rewires........

Take your time and keep a sharp eye out.....it's amazing what you can find if you are looking for it.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

*Click* , following!

Clone you're right, if u look stuff up you will find the right parts.

I'm in the same situation, spreading the cost makes it easier for the moneybox.

Take a look in the beginning of my build topic, I allready have a few of the parts clone described.
You can get an idea of what to look for.

Better to be blown than to suck!
buguy

Post by buguy »

I certainly don't have any reservations about using Mario's stuff. I mean he sells it and is a VW guy too. Can't ask for more than that.
Thanks for the info so far dude. That gives me something to start looking out for.
And of course it will all be done up nice! I have to! I work at a restoration shop. It would be silly if my car wasn't as perfect as possible!
I've read about some guys that have found throttle body's that have the TPS right on them. Of course I don't remember where they were from though. If I can I hope to try to find GM stuff so replacement parts for them are readily available.
I think I might list 3 of my 390cfm carbs this week to try and sell to offset the cost of the upgrade. I've been seeing them go in the $300 to $350 range. That will help a lot.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Also I wanted to ask about ignition. I see a lot of talk here about wasted spark and EDIS. I've also seen a little about COP. Is one better than the other? I saw something about sequential injection too. Anyone know the benefits of one over the other?
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I would keep it as simple as possible for a first start.....EDIS is ignition with a module and only needs to be done with the Ver. 2.2 board.
If you use the Ver. 3.0 board you can skip right to wasted spark. Sequential is just more complication and more ignition drivers along with two more injector drivers.
You can always upgrade later by adding that stuff but I doubt the gains would be worth the added expense.......Pile and Chip may disagree.........
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
terryly

Post by terryly »

I went with Mario and got a MS3pro from him if I did it again I would use his controller it has enough features and geared to us at a better price I believe Then decide single throttle body or dual dual how/mild wild one stop shopping He knows his stuff I almost went with SDS simple digital systems and they were even in my hometown no shipping which is huge for us north of the 49th :x here is my start I ALSO NEW NOTHING 2-1/2 years ago :D Still don't know much but I can follow along pretty good :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=147209

Should be good topic for boosted relevance good idea buguy
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
buguy

Post by buguy »

What do you mean by his controller? Do you happen to have a link?
I will be using a single TB for sure.
terryly

Post by terryly »

http://www.thedubshop.net/maxsfi-ecu
He had a thread about it I think. Cant seem to find it right now
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
buguy

Post by buguy »

That looks perfect! But there is no price!
terryly

Post by terryly »

found the link for ya bud I thought they were around 700 and I was in to mine for 1200? Wanted to pout a little Just kidding totally happy with my MS3pro
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=147271
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
buguy

Post by buguy »

Thanks brother! I'm sure that pro is an amazing piece. I was looking at those and that high dollar dash they have. Super cool.
Speaking of that I saw a thread somewhere out there with a dude from across the pond somewhere running MS. He wired in some sort of screen kind of like the MS dash. He could have all the speed/rpm/boost/IAT...etc... It looked pretty slick and he was a sort of low budget sort of guy.
terryly

Post by terryly »

Yea there doing all kinds of amazing things If you go mega squirt you should sign up here and troll this place lots of info and help lots of guys building dashes from lap top or rasberry pie :roll: http://www.msextra.com/forums/search.ph ... ive_topics
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

It's a Raspberry PI dash. I think it runs on Linus OS.

There goes the "keep it simple" theory........ :roll: :lol: :shock:
terryly

Post by terryly »

I prefer to call it "project creep" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker