EFI parts gathering

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Clonebug

Re: EFI parts gathering

Post by Clonebug »

Here is a calculator for ya.

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/fuelinjectors.htm

Fill in any one area and it will give you the info.

For ex. Say you want to support 250 hp. Divide 250 by 4 for four injectors then put that number in the hp tab and it will give you the size you need at 100% DC.... You only want to be at 80% max so add twenty percent somewhere in the equation.

Most injectors are sized by lbs./hr or cc's/min.

I wouldn't go less than 32#-50#.
32# injectors are good for about 256 hp at 100% and 204 hp at 80% DC.
I run 45#/hr injectors and they will support 360 hp at 100% DC which is about 288 hp at 80% DC.
Are they big enough????? maybe.....
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
buguy

Post by buguy »

You are knocking on that door!
Just for knowledge sake, is there minimum duty cycle an injector should run at? I mean surely I couldn't run an 100 lbs/hr injector right?!
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

There are guys running 2000 cc/min injectors.......

Chip is running ID1000's which are 1000cc/min.

E85 requires massive injectors due to E85 requiring up to 30% more fuel for the same power as Gasoline. Hence the better cooling of the E85.

As far as a minimum DC ....yes there is......Mine runs 2.3% at 1100 rpm idle and a PW of 2.4 milliseconds at the same rpm.

Pick an injector based on the hp you would possibly run.....if not for the engine currently...then for one you might build.......It still all comes down to what your target hp might be........pick accordingly.
If you go too big your idle can and will suffer.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Ok great. Thanks for the info.
I guess really injectors aren't so expensive I need to plan that far ahead anyway. Plus they seem to cover a wide range of hp on a well thought out engine.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Anyone else have opinions on ECU's? Things they wish they had done differently?
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Are you gonna tune it yourself?
Better to be blown than to suck!
buguy

Post by buguy »

For sure. That's what I'm most excited about
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Then take one U like the most.

Or take one that u know guys in your neighborhood work with.

Or take one that had great online support if you dont have support in your neighborhood.

They all do the same. Some a bit more options than others. Some a bit cheaper, some waaaaay more expensive.

I think picking an ecu is like picking a new daily... everyone will have different taste and expectations for their application.
Better to be blown than to suck!
buguy

Post by buguy »

I don't know anyone using stand alone ecu. At least around me. That's why I'm a asking here.
petew

Post by petew »

Power. Figure out how much your turbo can make, then buy them big enough. Ask Clonebug. He'll tell you the size you need and where to find it... heck, he already has. ;)
terryly

Post by terryly »

Got mine from FiveO motor sports I may have to get a little bigger ones
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yep I know what I need for injectors. Just trying to figure out what ECU I want to run now. And ignition. I really don't know the differences yet. I guess I need to decide if I want to go from the 60's to the 1990's or jump right in to the 2000's!
petew

Post by petew »

I guess it's 2 things.
1. Budget - Coz trust me, the sky is the limit with ECUs.
2. Features - This is worth thinking about. If I had my time again, I think I would have gone an MS2 with more inputs.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I was thinking MS2 as well. But I wonder about the software. I know almost nothing about it but I thought I saw something about MS3 being version 3 software or something. I need more info on that sort of thing. I also don't really know what each will do.
And I don't really have a budget in mind, but same as everyone one else I want the best of everything for almost no money. That's why I ask. I don't want to pay for a bunch of stuff I won't use.
petew

Post by petew »

Most of us are using (or have used) MS2. It's the best bang for buck at this stage. You're also able to build your own ECU to run MS2, whereas MS3 is a pre-assembled ECU. That said, Mario sells pre-assembled MS2 ECUs. You can also buy what I've got, a Microsquirt. It's limited in inputs and outputs and can only run batch fire injectors (they all squirt at the same time) and wasted spark (cyls 1-3 and 4-2 fire together), but then that can be pretty effective. Mario's kits allow you to run direct spark and sequential injectors again depending on what specs you want. He has a pretty nifty cam sensor to go with the crank sensor.

Some reading...
http://www.enginebasics.com/EFI%20Tunin ... ntial.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasted_spark

Mario might be able to spruke the advantages of direct spark and sequential injection. I think the advantage with a more complex MS2 is more inputs and outputs for boost control, water injection and the like.