Turbo suggestion

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
lakis1982

Turbo suggestion

Post by lakis1982 »

Hello,

I am building an oxyboxer 2.1L EFI turbo engine.. I have collected almost all parts.. However i am now in the proccess of finding out the appropriate turbocharger to achieve my goal..

My goal is to build a powerful engine around 300HP with the biggest amount of torque appearing as early as possible around 3000 rpm...Engine will be used for street driving only..No track days, no drag racing...

I have the following parts available:

- WBX case converted to aircooled...
- 94mm Type 1 AA long cylinders
- Original VW WBX 76mm crankshaft
- Wiseco 94mm forged pistons
- CB Performance 2017 panchito 044 heads 61cc with W650 dual springs
- CB Performance 5.6" VW journal H-Beam super race rods
- CB Performance Forged 1.3:1 rocker assembly
- I plan to use Engle TCS20 camshaft or a custom made one from JPM Sweden..
- I plan to use a 8.7:1 compression ratio and my max RPM should be around 6500..

EFI kit bought from VWspeedshop UK (contains external wastegate)..The header has a T3 flange pattern..

Based on your experience and knowledge, could you suggest any turbocharger that could be considered a good match for my setup ?? What compressor and turbine A/R and trims would you recommend ?
Would you recommend a Holset turbocharger and which particular one?

Thanks a lot
buguy

Re: Turbo suggestion

Post by buguy »

I'm no one to ask for turbo selection, but are you looking for junkyard parts or want to drop $1000 on a new one?
Some people are tightwads like me, and some don't mind spending some money on parts.
lakis1982

Post by lakis1982 »

I could spend up to $500 for a turbocharger either used or new, even maybe a Chinese one. I am just looking for the appropriate specs (inducer, exducer, A/R etc) that the turbocharger should have in order to achieve my goal..
Please make your proposals...

Happy New year
madmike

Post by madmike »

I picked up a e-bay T3/T4 a couple years ago till working :lol:
TO4E
.57 a/r
stage III
.49 a/r 50 trim have it on my 2276 and I can cruise @40- 80 mph without boosting :wink:
or I can boost in any gear with the throttle :lol:
buguy

Post by buguy »

Are you going to use any water injection, E85, or intercooler? I was just thinking at 8.7:1 your not going to be able to boost much more than 6psi with that compression ratio on pump gas. It would make a difference if your only going to run 5-6 psi or if your going to push it to 15-20 psi. If your in the UK I'm unsure about the fuel there.
lakis1982

Post by lakis1982 »

so you think T04E will work on my setup with 0.57 A/R ??

I will not be using any meth injections.. I plan to boost 1 bar (14.5psi) but i also plan to use high octane fuel (100octane) and i will be also using octane booster additive that futher increases octanes by 3 to 5 units. I just need that compression ratio to have an engine that is still capable on the low end even before the turbine comes into play...

Madmike what are your engine specs ?? and also power-torque numbers ?
buguy

Post by buguy »

According to the calculator Clone recommends, you would need almost 19 psi to make 300 hp. You would also need 33 pounds of air and 408 cfm. So if you find a turbo that meets that you should be good. Although I'm not sure if you want to be working your turbo at 100%
petew

Post by petew »

lakis1982 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:41 am Hello,

I am building an oxyboxer 2.1L EFI turbo engine.. I have collected almost all parts.. However i am now in the proccess of finding out the appropriate turbocharger to achieve my goal..

My goal is to build a powerful engine around 300HP with the biggest amount of torque appearing as early as possible around 3000 rpm...Engine will be used for street driving only..No track days, no drag racing...

I have the following parts available:

- WBX case converted to aircooled...
- 94mm Type 1 AA long cylinders
- Original VW WBX 76mm crankshaft
- Wiseco 94mm forged pistons
- CB Performance 2017 panchito 044 heads 61cc with W650 dual springs
- CB Performance 5.6" VW journal H-Beam super race rods
- CB Performance Forged 1.3:1 rocker assembly
- I plan to use Engle TCS20 camshaft or a custom made one from JPM Sweden..
- I plan to use a 8.7:1 compression ratio and my max RPM should be around 6500..

EFI kit bought from VWspeedshop UK (contains external wastegate)..The header has a T3 flange pattern..

Based on your experience and knowledge, could you suggest any turbocharger that could be considered a good match for my setup ?? What compressor and turbine A/R and trims would you recommend ?
Would you recommend a Holset turbocharger and which particular one?

Thanks a lot
Sounds like a ball of fun. What's this motor going in?

Re cam, I've got a TCS10 in a 1600, which is fine but a lot of us are finding more aggressive cams work well on bigger motors even with at turbo. JPM could give you something great no doubt.

Re turbo, the old disco potato is probably your friend. Garrett GT2860. Cheap, cheerful, common. You can probably pick up a good one second hand or have one rebuilt. It supports up to 350hp or there abouts. You probably don't want to go much bigger than that. Alternatively, anything off a similarly sized subaru or ford would probably work well. Talk to your local breakers.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I've got a huge cam in mine, lifting almost 600 at the valve if I recall correctly. Between that and the big ported heads, its a little slow to come into boost, but hits really hard when its there. The engine loves boost. I was not a fan of the TCS 20 I ran in my old 2054. That engine just ran out of breathe early. I run a turbo similar to what madmike spec'd out to you. T3/to4e, pushing air into a large air to water intercooler. My intake temps are super stable even up to and over 25psi. I got my turbo from Shag Leone at SL1 Racing. He built it for WELL under $1000. Shoot him a message via facebook, he'll spec out a turbo for you based on your needs.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

lakis1982 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:41 pm so you think T04E will work on my setup with 0.57 A/R ??

I will not be using any meth injections.. I plan to boost 1 bar (14.5psi) but i also plan to use high octane fuel (100octane) and i will be also using octane booster additive that futher increases octanes by 3 to 5 units. I just need that compression ratio to have an engine that is still capable on the low end even before the turbine comes into play...

Madmike what are your engine specs ?? and also power-torque numbers ?
Boosting to 14.5 lbs and not having any way to cool IAT's is not a very effective setup.
Your IAT's will be around 180 degrees F. and you are giving power away. You will need ignition retard to keep detonation at bay. Octane only helps to an extent.
You will get pretty tired of adding all that octane booster when a little bit of intercooler engineering or else a simple WI system can save all that fuel cost.

I've done it both ways and you gain a bunch of hp just with the cooler intake temps.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
lakis1982

Post by lakis1982 »

Sorry, i forgot to mention that I will be using an intercooler air-air..The motor will sit on my karmann Ghia so I don't have big problems with space..
I also found a Garrett 2860RS that someone sells.. I guess it should be ideal and make my motor approach max torque quite early ??

Thank you
madmike

Post by madmike »

My 2276 with carcraft Header
FK 10
044 42x37.5's ported
750 Demon 4 barrel
scat crank w/carrillo rods Porsche length
1 1/2 sump
93 octane pump fuel for street.
This race was only 15 lbs of boost on 110 Cam 2 race fuel(gas)
sorry no dyno #'s but it hauls a$$ :lol: that's a factory '426 ci. Hemi cuda" I'm spanking 8) :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Man I would love to do that!!
madmike

Post by madmike »

You can :wink: just use my combo :lol:
I thing even a good 1915 Turbo motor could handle most Detroit iron :lol:
buguy

Post by buguy »

I know! It's not easy for me. We have the equipment and a dude at work that could easily open up my case. I fight it daily!