Turbo this baja discusion

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
terryly

Turbo this baja discusion

Post by terryly »

Hello folks Terry the forced induction lurker here 8) I have this baja that i use Fairly hard on and off road. Couple years ago I ditched the IDF clones and CB digital distributor that I had for my 2180 cc type 1 and put in a Megasquirt MS3PRO along with VW Speed Shop 42 mm throttle bodies Turbo plenums and crank trigger. The throttle bodies and plenums are ducted to a Y then to a Donaldson centrifugal air filter. I went to fuel injection for drive ability reasons as I really disliked the fuel slosh in the rough and could see it going pig rich with a wide band AFR gauge. I also put this together like this to combat dirt ,mud and water intrusion into the motor along the trail :wink: Anywhoo after the conversion a first start then some help from a remote tuner [ Scott at Elution designs ] The 2180 is running sequential fuel and spark with Mario's LS2 coils and cam sensor. Right now it is running in an ITB mode which is a blend of speed density and alpha N. It has been running GREAT so much so that i almost hate to mess with it ALMOST being the operative word :roll: The car has good low end torque with the 2180 a 110 cam and 002 bus trans for the rough stuff it is has some good pep for blasting around town and country roads and i can keep up good on the highway and even open it up to pass I will probably go to the 094 vanogon trans in the future.
Soo now to the jist of this thread and hopefully discussion as follows

1 -SHOULD I turbo it !!! I love its aggressiveness and snappy acceleration while still having enough manners to just cruise. Could forced induction make this set up perhaps a little more aggressive while still maintaining good cruise low/part throttle manners for around town and precision off road crawling
2- theory
3-design
4- parts recommended..turbo,Air/water intercooler, water/meth, hard ware
5- fabrication
6- tuning
7- HOW FREAKEN COOL WOULD IT BE TO HANG A TURBO ON THE BACK OLD FRANK THE BAJA
I apologize for that out burst .......BUT HOW FREAKIN COOL WOULD IT BE TO HANG A TURBO ON THE BACK OLD FRANK THE BAJA
No seriously I apologize :lol:
Here is some pics of my car Frank and later pictures of what i have and engine bay
Front
ImageDriverImagePASSImage VW Speed Shop gooddiesImagerearImagerearImageRearImageRear side detailImage Engine pic what i have to reconfigureImageWide bands, relays and wiringImageWide bands relays and wiringImageThe BRAINS a MS3PROImage A vid of about how its running now please excuse the idiot red necks[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UWBb3_ceSM[/BBvideo] Will a turbo play well in the mud [would it be ok ?Image

OK so lets talk and maybe bench plan /design > what are your thoughts
Sorry for picture overload but they speak a thousand words

motor specs
2180 82x92
AA thickwall p/c
5.4 H beam rods
CB los panchito cnc heads
110 cam I also have a 120
9.2:1 may be 9.3:1 have to check
42 mm dual IDF throttle bodies

Any thing else ?
Terry
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
madmike

Re: Turbo this baja discusion

Post by madmike »

Hell Ya ,Boost that thing :lol: mud shouldn't be an issue turbos are sealed purdy good , but their HOT and mud may bake on???
110 is cam ok for this but drop the CR down to 8: 1 I'm running 8.5:1 On my 2276 and good fuel is a must.. I run 93 Octane then Raceday, 110 Race fuel :wink: That Baja is gonna 'Fly' with them Fenders :lol: :lol: :lol:
terryly

Post by terryly »

Thanks madmike I think as long as it baking on does not harm it and can be washed off. Looks mostly unimportant. Getting the compression that low is the kicker. I will probly need new heads. The fenders are to keep the wilderness off the windows :oops:
Terry
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
buguy

Post by buguy »

Seems like a perfect candidate for turbo to me! You already have all the good stuff for controlling everything!
terryly

Post by terryly »

Yea sure would be nice if a barrel air/water intercooler and some water/meth along with EFI for control would allow me to boost it at least mildly
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
buguy

Post by buguy »

I'm sure with a good tune you can boost it. I have no idea what kind of compression ratio your running, but with efi and water injection and e85 and intercoolers.... Not much that can stand in your way!
terryly

Post by terryly »

oohh e85 dont like the access thing and just want to run premium so i can get it any where
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
terryly

Post by terryly »

Sorry I think i am around 9.3:1 static
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
buguy

Post by buguy »

Wow. 9.3 is pretty high for a VW. Probably right on the edge for boost. With a perfect tune you might be able to run 4-5 psi or so. With water.... Maybe 10-12? I don't really know.
buguy

Post by buguy »

And double wow! I just watched your vid. Sounds like she runs damn good already! Love the wide open space you have there!
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

One thing to note, boost will make the 4 widebands on that engine worthless. They don't compensate for a pressurized manifold, which will cause their reading to get funny. There are very few per cylinder wideband systems out there that will compensate correctly. AEM makes one, and now so does 14point7.com. I have the one from 14point7.com, its called the Megaspartan.
Last edited by Chip Birks on Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Man I forgot all about 14point7.com
terryly

Post by terryly »

Good to know Chip Birks I will keep that in mind for individual cylinder trim. I never got the individual trim in place and only tuned with a single wide band reporting in the car. I tried Mario tried and Scott The remote tuner gave it a whirl no go so shelved it and just used one. Got it tuned ,plugged the bungs and started playing. Never did talk to Mario or Scott after I had a decent tune :oops: I think I will leave the wide band choice until I am ready to implement it as the products seem to evolve rapidly
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

You should look for a WRX turbo. The TD04L-13T-6 would be a perfect match for your engine.
You should have good low to mid range boost and still max out at 17-20 lbs. boost if so desired.
Get some W/I or an Intercooler would be better to keep your IAT's in check.
If you stay at 6-8 lbs. you can get away with no intake cooling...just lower the advance a little when on boost if needed.

If you did go turbo you could easily get rid of those ITB's and run a single TB for simplicity and good low end.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
madmike

Post by madmike »

Don't be afraid of run big deck in them heads ,, Cooper gaskets are your friend :lol: