Turbo this baja discusion

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
terryly

Re: Turbo this baja discusion

Post by terryly »

cool thought maybe they were to prevent warping with the heat cycling and such.
Thinking about air/water inter coolers Turbo pressure side is 2.25" My Idf throttle body covers are 2.5". I see you can get them in 2.25 or 2.5 from From http://www.frozenboost.com/air_water-ic/ My thought was to keep it 2.25" from turbo > inter cooler > 2.25 > T 2.5 split pipe > throttle bodies. or 2.25" turbo > 2.5" > inter cooler > T > throttle bodies :?: :?: :?: next where do you find the tipping point where your inter cooler is to big ? I was planning on finding pressure size tube to use then making cardboard inter cooler dummy to see/plan placement Kinda need to learn some good practice turbo plumbing / inter cooler rules
Off to work
Later Guys
Terry
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

1731353[1] copy.jpg
Cleaned the pix up a bit so I could see detail better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

terryly wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:33 am cool thought maybe they were to prevent warping with the heat cycling and such.
Thinking about air/water inter coolers Turbo pressure side is 2.25" My Idf throttle body covers are 2.5". I see you can get them in 2.25 or 2.5 from From http://www.frozenboost.com/air_water-ic/ My thought was to keep it 2.25" from turbo > inter cooler > 2.25 > T 2.5 split pipe > throttle bodies. or 2.25" turbo > 2.5" > inter cooler > T > throttle bodies :?: :?: :?: next where do you find the tipping point where your inter cooler is to big ? I was planning on finding pressure size tube to use then making cardboard inter cooler dummy to see/plan placement Kinda need to learn some good practice turbo plumbing / inter cooler rules
Off to work
Later Guys
Terry
I have one of the frozen boost intercoolers, rated at 600hp, it has 3 inch in and out that i just use adaptor silicone to get the diameter i actually use. It keeps my temps under control nicely, I'm not in 600hp territory. Probably more like 350-400 when set on kill. You will find the exact same intercoolers on ebay, for significantly less $$$ shipped. I need a new one and will be going the ebay route this time for sure.
terryly

Post by terryly »

Thanks Chip Birks Did some poking around and reading last night. Can't really find any reason to go a little oversize. Then then the more I thought about it The intercooler itself is a size change in the plumbing system :shock: I was just getting hung up on changing sizes up and down as little as possible alsa keeping bends and direction changes to a minimum with a short run. I am leaning to using this style in 2.5"
This should allow me to place it above the engine air shroud keeping it out of harms way. Going from 2.25" out of the turbo >reducer> 2,5" Center port of Intercooler exiting on offset port >to a 90* coupler > to a off set T and finally out the T to each throttle body pressure hat 90* coupler Seems like it might work.
Going to make a dummy card board intercooler and see if it is possible
Until next time take care
Terry
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Make sure you get the reducers before you buy the intercooler!!!!!

The TD04L turbo has a 1 7/8ths inch compressor outlet and reducing couplers are very limited in that size.
I found one for 1 7/8ths - 2 inch but I'm not sure what other sizes are available.....
Check first.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

CXRacing on ebay has 1.875 to 2.5 90° reducers available. I'm sure they have more. Pricing is decent.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Chip Birks wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:09 pm CXRacing on ebay has 1.875 to 2.5 90° reducers available. I'm sure they have more. Pricing is decent.
By Golly they do.....Carry on...... :oops:
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
terryly

Post by terryly »

ShopTalkForums and you guys are great :!: :!: Good call Clonebug Don't know how I got 2.25" turbo outlet in my head. Just happy that I now have out of my rear end :lol: Was a busy weekend pulling the Baja out of snow, thawing it out,IMAGINING WHERE TURBO GOES,removing motor,making flanges,pushing back out and enjoying some beer.
Good find Chip Birks :wink: Was hoping to come strait out of turbo and increase there. I poked around a little last night and also found the 90* like you linked to but could not find a strait 1.875" to 2.5" .Might have to put a 90 at turbo and re-visit pressure side lay out.
Clonebug do you have an application or link for the 1.875" to 2" reducing coupler ?

How about a 1.875 strait coupler then use an exhaust pipe Expander for slip joints to make up the size up and use common reducer to get the rest of the diameter one is after. Sound like it will work ? or is my head missing again :D
Back down to sub zero temps up here -27*C low tonight -22*C daytime high Work will be more challenging for next couple of days I was down with a dislocated shoulder during the last cold snap at Christmas and pretty much just hunkered down to hibernate and heal :D
Well have a real good day folks till next time
Terry
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I go to frozenboost.com or siliconeintakes.com for my connectors.
terryly

Post by terryly »

Hello just wanted to post an update of where I'm at with this. Picked up some new hole saws Plotted the holes on the flanges that were previously cut and drilled them out Tacked in a length of 2" exhaust tube and bolted the turbo up. I also made a card board intercooler for plannig. here is how it looked :D
Wanted to get the intercooler a little more centered and did not like what I was left with for air filter placement and oil fill access so we turned it around and re clocked it :wink: Well that seemed to open up some possibilities. so I rolled some print paper into a tube [it was only 2" not 2.5" but was able to let me imagine it better.] and this is what we came up with using this intercooler
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I am really digging this lay out !!!I will probably raise the turbo up a couple inches and tilt the intercooler to get a strait shot at the inter cooler. It will get a1.875" -2" coupler then a 2"-2.5" reducing coupler to intercooler. then a 90* coupler out to a T. Then a Couple 90* elbows to the throttle bodies. This layout puts the air filter pretty close to where it was which I like for side mirror and rear window visibility. It also really frees up the oil fill canister that has always been a bit of a pain to get to. And this makes the exhaust pipe and muffler routing sensible and easy to build.
The plan is to build as much of the pressure plumbing out of silicone tubing using joiners at the elbows and splices as needed.
These for out of turbo 1.875" - 2" and 2" - 2.5"

And these to splice

ImageImage

Some 90*

Some lengths of silicone tube

They even have 4" - 2.5" for turbo inlet to air filter still have to get from 2.5" to 1.9" turbo size

Pretty simple and hopefully durable and reliable. Cant seem to locate aT for out of the intercooler to throttle bodies. Spent more time trying to search one online than it would take to make one :oops: I would think it would be wise to extend the T to past the turbo up pipe as I don't know if silicone would be up to the heat where they cross. Better safe than sorry I guess.
Here is a shot of where the air filter was worked real good. Thinking maybe i can put the radiater for air water intercooler up on the rack. have to find a short wide cooler/ radiator Should be protected up there and in the air. Could also put puller fans there for high load low speed situations.
You can also get an idea of how the turbo will be and see how it might be on the car. I think it will look right at home there Should be cool

Also made flanges for #1 and #3

Well that's how my plan is for now
Terry
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
terryly

Post by terryly »

ALRIGHT Just sold my old Low Bugget Kads and svda distributor for $450 to some guy in the local club going to get rid of the 40 & 44 IDFs too :D Hell I'm getting rid of the CB Magnaspark Digital distributor an old exaust,some buggy seats steering parts :lol: All in my lust for boost
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
buguy

Post by buguy »

No turning back now!
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

buguy wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:30 pm No turning back now!
He was already injected :wink:
buguy

Post by buguy »

Oh! Well then carry on!
terryly

Post by terryly »

WAHOO Guy just came over and took my Kads another guy took my suspension, seats got a guy figuring out how to get a 2017 stroker internals to the next province over and another guy nibbling at my IDF carbs and digital distributor package :lol: :lol:
Should give me a good "leg up" for a not out of the pocket TURBO SLUSH FUND
That and the kids gave me enough TURBO SLUSH FUNDstocking stuffers for Christmas to pick up a turbo,gaskets,flange material,hole saws and exhaust pipe
Busted myself up in the form of a dislocated shoulder Dec 15 Not working for a couple of weeks was threatening to choke off the funny money fund
so this an unexpected surprise. So glad to be back at work!!!
This is coming along better and sooner than I would have thought :) :) :) :) :)
I will keep you posted as this continues . Thanks all
Terry
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync