Turbo this baja discusion

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
MarioVelotta

Re: Turbo this baja discusion

Post by MarioVelotta »

Terry, you have made huge progress! I love it :mrgreen: You are going to be SOOOOO happy with a turbo 8)
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
petew

Post by petew »

madmike wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:25 am Man them bring back some memories :lol:
I've rebuilt a few of the 425 turbohydromatic's 'finger pinchin chains in them' :roll: yepper need a huge A$$ trans cooler too'
Yes folks it's CHAIN drive :lol: :lol: :lol:
Speaking of chain drives, check this...

[BBvideo=560,315]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oBfj_D9DGE[/BBvideo]
terryly

Post by terryly »

UPDATE
Ok Guys picking this one back up after sitting on the shelf for a while.The delay was I changed my suspension set up to a full coil over shock set up and went to a 4' longer front arm after I broke my 2 1/2" over arms. Picked up a new alum case installed Porsche piston squirters and went to a Scatt external oil pressure relief valve. As well as a Mocal temperature relief valve and a Morroso 1 1/2 quart oil accumulator. Also changed the cam to a Webcam 86a and Scatt 1.4 ratio rockers {so quiet} i also changed my throttle linkage from a CSP push pull to a Synclink throttle cable system and seems to be working very well Put a couple thousand kilometers on this new motor configuration. Seems to be rock steady with good oil pressure and temperature control and no longer suffers from heat soak on the highway. I can now go on extended highway trips 8) to and from the trail head. I also went to a 091-1 side shift trans out of a water boxer van from the 002 type 2 trans I was using. Had to do a little chopping cutting and modifying to get it all to work with my new Cableshift shifter has proven to work very well.Here is a link to that and more on trans later https://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopi ... 6#p1259886

Found some change in my couch and now have a little turbo slush fund and about to pull the trigger on some turbo plumbing ,Air to water inter cooler a coolant pump
Changed my plans a little on the turbo plumbing scheme. I will come from the turbo to a 2.5" ducted Air to water intercooler over my shroud to a 2.5"x 2.5" "T" splitter which will then go into two 2.5" x 2"x 2" "Y" splitters. This is my new shopping list.
https://www.frozenboost.com/shopping_cart.php

I found that if I mention https://www.frozenboost.com/ and post a link and /or post a picture of their sticker they will give you a permanent 10% off discount. happy Happy :D :D . Might come in handy to some one else who is shopping for parts
first I will get the https://www.frozenboost.com/ Air to water intercooler, pump and plumbing and plumbing bits here and mocked up. Then i will decide on a coolant heat exchanger and start to figure out what i need for the meth injection and how I will tie it into the MS3pro stand alone ecu. Need to do a little research on Electronic boost controllers wastegates and blow off valves.

I have also been following a face book page on watermeth injection lots of info opinions and suppliers
https://www.facebook.com/groups/366718120329010/

Was also very interested in this product has any one used one of these or looked into it ? seems very interesting
http://tunernerd.com/

And some pictures

And a video if it works

There you have now been updated HaHa
That's all till I get some bits and bobs orderd and bolted on
later
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
madmike

Post by madmike »

something missing on your spec's ,, where's the 'turbo' :lol: my wife and I luv 'cruising' the back roads up here ,, but we use our Bus :wink:
MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

The new engine is looking sharp! Turbo is going to be exciting.
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
terryly

Post by terryly »

madmike ...I am trying to add that to my specs as we speak haha :lol:
MarioVoletta...Thanks for the compliments and encouragement. Motor seems to run real strong I have put a couple thousand hard kilometers on it last summer and the previous fall and winter. I will probably need to call you. I seem to have a cam fault last time I looked at my logs. But first I need to make sure I have continuity from the MiniCam Sync up through the wiring harness and bulkhead connector to the ECU. After that I will have to figure how to test the MiniCam Sync
Okay so last week I placed my order with Frozenboost for an intercooler ,a bosch pump and hopefully most of the reducers, bends ,joiners and injection couplers that I will need. I left out the radiator and fans and will have a look at that later when I get every thing in place.
Now I will have to try and figure if I will need new injectors. Right now I am running 30# injectors
Also need to figure what I need for a blowoff valve for the set up. Any words of wisdom or insight ??
And an electronic Boost controller what would be good for a MS3PRO ??
Also look at a MAP sensor I don't know if the GM one I have in there now will read positive boost pressures{just looked and it is a GM 1 bar sensor}
I am also going to measure before and after intercooler temps then IAT temps just before the throttle bodies or perhaps I could sample them in the intake manifold. I would wonder about heat soak there though. just wanting to know the difference after the water meth injection from post turbo temps
And thenthere is the meth injection "canoworms" I think I will go with the Devils Own pump. A low level switch and maybe a flow sensor ? Much research and poking around the interweb :? any words of wisdom here would be appreciated.

so that is where we are at now

Pictures to follow when I get it mocked up
thanks for looking
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
panel

Post by panel »

Terry , what's your budget for the BOV? We love spending other peoples money :D
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

The Saab 9-3 turbo BOV is cheap and on Ebay. I've got many miles up to 25 lbs on mine.
I paid $12.00 for mine if I remember correctly back in 2011.

Here's a cheap one......grab it before it's gone.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/94-05-00-98-97 ... SwXk9carPg

Here's a search if you want to buy the high priced ones....

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... v&_sacat=0
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
terryly

Post by terryly »

Well it seems I will be the new owner of a Saab blow off valve !!! Thanks Clonebug
Thanks for the offer panel but I have no problem spending my money all by myself haha
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
terryly

Post by terryly »

Ok so got a package from https://www.frozenboost.com/ The air/water Intercooler looks real nice got a Bosch water pump looks good and the inline water fill seems like it will do the trick. Tried to mock up my Turbo plumbing how I had Imagined it........and it was a bust. So now sending back a couple Y conectors and some 45* angles back and exchanging them for a 180* bend and another 90* bend. Now I am back to my original plan haha Ordered up the Saab blow off valve that Clonebug linked me to.
Clonebug or anyone else know the size of the Saab Blow off valve that goes into the charge pipe seems I can get those in 1" or 1-1/4" . No worries if not should have it in my hands in the next week or two. Just wanting to get another order in for the radiator ,replacement 180* and 90* bends. Then I will need to figure the best boost control strategy for ms3. Thoughts on that would be greatly appreciated. Well that is all for now. Happy boosting hope to join you before not to long haha
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Should be a 1 inch hose.

Boost goes into the side......outlet is the bottom.

Doesn't seem right but that is the way they work.
I used a cheap V-8 Valve cover breather filter on my outlet because these valves are technically a bypass valve and will be open at idle and higher vacuum conditions.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
terryly

Post by terryly »

Thanks Clonebug
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil
50mm Throttle body
TD04L-13T Turbo
SL-1 Turbo prepped heads
buguy

Post by buguy »

If you are making your intake out of aluminum, I think I have a piece of 1" tube and a piece of 1" silicone I could send you.
terryly

Post by terryly »

Thanks for the offer bugguy that is very kind of you. I was just going to get one of these and see how it goes.

Well it is official I must have a hole in my head -36* Celsius temperature overnight according to the in/out thermometer and here I am worrying about cooling my intake air charge temperature. WOW I need to shake my head HaHa.
I checked the conversion calculator and it says that is "- holy crap Fahrenheit "{-32.8F} Oh well temps going to rise during the day to -28c The deep freeze is supposed to hang around till Sunday. Ahh the life of an overhead door guy hehe Maybe I will get to work on some more froze up gates today awesome.
Rant over
Terry Lytle
Canada
8.5-1 comp
JE forged pistons
Porsche piston squirters
30mm triple "O"ring pump
Web 86 a
1.4 ratio rocker
MS3 PRO ecu
Mini Cam Sync
LS2 coil