1641 Turbo EFI Manx. 250Hp/337Nm Turbotub

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
rubenski

1641 Turbo EFI Manx. 250Hp/337Nm Turbotub

Post by rubenski »

Hi all!

I'm Ruben from belgium, ive had a build on here a year or 2 ago, a blue 64 bug with a draw trough amr500 supercharger. That didnt end good because i was dumb and wanted to much. Blew the piston ring out.
Ive rebuild that engine back to NA and added 1.4 rockers and upped the compression. 8.7 - 8.9

Flash forward, i sold the bug without that engine last winter and bought a 1968 meyers manx without an engine.

I bought it from the official benelux-importer (thats for belgium, the netherlands and Luxemburg) who build that buggy 10yrs ago for himself. So no expences saved, powdercoated chassis, discs up front, original cragars, nice seats and clean interior. Build pretty original.

So with the dorment boost addiction ImageImage, i planned a turbo upgrade in the following year.

The supercharger was fun and i still have it but the belts, pulleys, idlers and allignment was a big PITA!! ImageImage

Alltough now the buggy drives like a dream, with 107hp and 165Nm.

Since we built a new house last year and lots of things need finishing, iy will be a slow build. I plan to run it NA till next winter 2018. Then i plan on rebuilding the engine for turbo use.

Plan is to go full efi and thats what im gathering parts for.

Any and/or many advice is welcome.

Next post will be about what i allready have!!

Cheers!
Better to be blown than to suck!
rubenski

Re: 1641 Turbo manx. Gathering parts!

Post by rubenski »

So the turbo, bought it used from a subaru wrx. The guy fitted a bigger one and had no use for the little bugger! Its a td04l-13t

Verry little to no play in the shaft, no damage, clean and no side markings from where the compressor wheel should touch the housing.
Payed 120€, about 100$... thats a verry good price here.

Fuel pump and filter:

Bought in a set together with the end castings.

End castings:

Cb's with fitted injectors, probably for a stock setup. Havent looked em up yet.

Throttle body:

Came in that same set, i have the big centre-piece too but dont think i will use it because i will have to buy another alternator too. Now i have a dynamo and it works good!

I will make the pipeing myself (between castings)

Fuel regulator:

Again from that same package-deal, says weber on top and a few numbers stamped on. Have to look those up too.

Sensor

Not yet identified, was screwed into the central housing, under the tb.

rubenski

Post by rubenski »

And for this winter, i have a few upgrades too,

I plan to take the hood and windscreen off and take a look at the fuel tank, i can only get 28L into it. And when the electrical sensor says there is a quarter left, its acctually empty. Ask me how i know ImageImage

And when all that stuff it out of the way, it will be easier to fit this:

After or before that the engine will come out and i will brace the gearbox with this:

I wont be able to mount it like that because the boxes for the battery and misc box are in the way

I will have to move that bar to the other side of the suspension tower... so lots of welding and fabbing.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

And i also have a water/meth injection kit, bought second hand but never used.

Clonebug

Re: 1641 Turbo EFI Manx. Gathering parts!

Post by Clonebug »

That is a Beautiful Buggy Reuben!!!!

Please don't cut the body to install the turbo kit........

You have almost the same parts as I used for my turbo kit.

That TB is from a stock German VW bug.

The turbo is not the same one as mine but pretty close. Mine is a 14412AA360 turbo while yours is a 560.
From what I quickly found, it is from an Impreza and/or a 06 WRX. Your compressor wheel looks different but I'll have to confirm later.

Get rid of those stock bug injectors and find some 32-45# Bosch injectors to get enough fuel flow to try to catch me...... :wink: :lol: 8)

Build your own intake out of some exhaust tubing as large as you can fit under the alternator stand without having to beat a dent into it.

You will need a FI fan shroud or else drill the holes for the throttle cable just like one. I built a cable connector out of some 34 Pict-3 throttle parts to make mine work on my FI shroud.
The FI shroud has the cable holes on the far side of the oil cooler due to the longer shaft the TB has along with the extra linkage. Toss all the extra linkage and make it work.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

yeah, setup is pretty close to yours.

plans for the exhaust are just using what i have now, weld 2bolt flanges at the J-pipes and exhaust and then a up-pipe from the 4in1. pretty simple!

I now have a 110 cam in the engine but not sure if its a keeper. maybe some more turbo friendly shafts?

copper shims under the barrels and some extra porting on the exhaust side. combustion chamber a bit more hemispherical

I might add a deep sump too.

And NO I will not cut the buggy up for the turbo.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

One of the biggest challenges I have had was keeping the promise to myself to not cut the buggy body to fit the turbo and related parts.
Prepare yourself for many nights of staring at the buggy....then at the parts....then back at the buggy to figure out where you are going to fit all that stuff and still be able to work on it......

Have fun with it.

I am pretty happy with my W100 cam and I have power as long as I want to hold the throttle open. It pulls right through 5600 rpm and I have hit 5800 rpm.I try to keep the rpm's down to 5200 but it just wants to keep going.
I have excellent low end torque and great low speed cruising manners with this cam.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

If i can keep the tb low enough to the connectong pipe i dont see a problem.

I wont make the up-pipe like yours trough the 4in1 but behind it.

Just not sure how the stock wastegate works. Or at least how to control the boost trough it. Is is set at one boost level?

Is it always closed untill it reaches a certain psi?
petew

Post by petew »

Yay! Boost time. Love the buggy. :)
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Thx pete!

Boosting time will be for the following year, or sooner if i win the lottory!

madmike

Post by madmike »

nice looking "Tub" luv the seats :wink:
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Thx, they're verry comfortable too. A headrest would be a plus but i dont like how that looks
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

rubenski wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:36 pm If i can keep the tb low enough to the connectong pipe i dont see a problem.

I wont make the up-pipe like yours trough the 4in1 but behind it.

Just not sure how the stock wastegate works. Or at least how to control the boost trough it. Is is set at one boost level?

Is it always closed untill it reaches a certain psi?
All the Subaru turbos that I ran have a 6 lb. wastegate spring. You can either use a Manual Boost controller or and Electronic boost controller to regulate your max boost amount.
I built a MBC out of a 1/8 inch brass Tee which I used for at least 4 yrs. but now I use a EBC which I can turn on or off with a switch on the dash. I have to adjust the boost setting in Tunerstudio if I want a new max boost.
The switches allow me to shut off my WI and/or boost control to limit boost back to the stock 6 lbs.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Sounds good.
Will start at 6-7 psi, so stock and eventually go to 14 psi. 1bar.

Im doing a lot of research in ecu's.

The one thing thats for sure is that i wont tune it myself... my engine builder has become a good friend trough the years and i trust him with that task.

Wich bov are you guys running. I love the pssssccchhhttt sound so definatly getting one that vents to the atmosphere.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I use a cheap Saab BOV from a 9-3 turbo.

I think I paid $8.00 for it. It makes a big whoooosh at 24 lbs.........
Some of the Turbo Porsches use the same BOV but with a higher price.
It's going to depend on what your budget is and how much bling you want.
I'm a "cheap skate" as my Mom used to say.