1641 Turbo EFI Manx. 250Hp/337Nm Turbotub

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
rubenski

Re: 1641 Turbo EFI Manx. Stage 2: Mockup!

Post by rubenski »

Did I ask a stupid question?

Guess after the IC it is.

Edit: blow off hot air!
Last edited by rubenski on Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Better to be blown than to suck!
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

No, sorry. I feel like i went through a lot of effort to cool that air, why blow that hard work out of a valve every time i lift the throttle. I'd way rather blow off hot air than cold. Probably doesn't really matter in the end. Put it where it fits best and looks coolest!
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Okay!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A520F met Tapatalk

rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Made good progress today!

Decided to hang the intercooler symetrical with the buggy body. The chrome licenceplate light assembly will be deleted and replaced by a polished plate covering the holes.

Then made bracket for the turbo. Will be welded at the corners and reinforced by some triangles.
Bracket is really necessary because the turbo is quite heavy and can't be supported only by the exhaust 4in1.

Need another two 90° alloy bends to finish the charge pipes and look for a spot for the BOV.

Wastegat will be a little more difficult. Need to make the 4in1 to turbo pipe first

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

You're doing a very nice looking, very professional job Rubenski! 8)

If you are going to have to use the exhaust to support the "heavy" turbo then I would do some shaking of things to see just how much, if any, deflection you might be getting. Just a precaution as you don't want to mar that paint job you have.

Very cool!

Lee
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Yess, it will get a wiggle-test!

I try to make the enginebay look sexy!

woodsbuggy1

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

Looking very nice, I believe that the closer that the BOV is to the turbo then it should do its job more efficiently and make the turbo live a longer life.
Good Luck
Kenric
Good quality is getting harder and harder to find.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Mine is after the Intercooler and before the TB.....

Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Can't make much progress from monday to friday due to much work, daughter-father time and early bed times Image

Did manage to start on the exhaust up pipe.
Two 90° bends were to wide (one pointing left and 1 pointing up) so I got them shortened and tacked.

The exhaust coming from the turbo is probably going under the turbo. And exiting to the right.
There is a lot going on on the left side of the engine but not so on the right. So i need something to fill in that void.

Yesterday I worked on a new box to put the ECU in. The original one is to small. Its made out of "dibond" . Thats 2 thin layers of alloy with some sort of hard plastic in between. Durable, easy to work with. The ecu will lay in the big square ON the little box. The left and top part wont be visible and hide the relays and misc stuff.

Wont get much more done this weekend. Got a busy saturday and sunday is election day for the provinces and i have to help in our town from 7am till 5pm.... ImageImageImageImage

rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Something like this:Image

V8Nate

Post by V8Nate »

Looking good:)
petew

Post by petew »

If I might make a suggestion re ECU location. Have the ECU attached to the inside of the lid of that box. Don't put it in the bottom. Ask me how I know that... ok, I'll tell you.

My old buggy had the ECU in the bottom of such a box. On the way to a big event, on a very rainy day, the box got half an inch of water in it. So the ECU was sitting in water. I still have no idea how the water actually got in there, because it was sealed up super tight. You can guess what happened. Dead motor and no way of driving the car. 3yo daughter sitting on the side of the highway in the pouring rain for 4 hours waiting for a tilt-tray. Then another adventure where my friend's tow vehicle and a huge trailer got bogged on the way home. :(

Lesson learned, ECU goes on the inside of the lid, up high, not in the bottom of the box. ;)
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Its not on the bottom, it sits 2.5cm up from the bottom of the box.
Plus I plan to seal it up on the inside and then drill a drain hole so it can empty if flooded.
I really have no other place to mount it.

The inside of that lid wont work because with the loom connectord attached its too wide....

petew

Post by petew »

I know you're pain. I'd still say mount it higher coz I know you euro guys drive in all sorts of weather. BTW, drain holes can end up being fill holes if you're not careful. ;)
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Then what if i put a hose on it? Cant see water filling it up trough a hose.