1641 Turbo EFI Manx. 250Hp/337Nm Turbotub

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
andy198712

Re: 1641 Turbo EFI Manx. Gathering parts!

Post by andy198712 »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:21 pm Well heck: congrats on making it to 30 anyway. That you made is this far and have a job makes it sounds like the first phase of your life is somewhat successful.

As I remember truckers do seem to work long hours and work a lot of overtime. Not sure if the pay is always there though.

Andy, I grew up in a Navy town and worked commercial aircraft as a draftsman/TD. I slip and post a lot of "forward" and "aft" plus "inboard" and "outboard". I try not to do the "port"/"larboard" and "starboard" thing but it drives my wife nuts when I use the "head" word :twisted: .

Lee
Most people need a translator lol
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Hi all,

I'm leaving for a 2 week vacation to france tommorow. A well earned vacation after 12days straight work.

I went to my enginebuilder last wednesday, we went over the whole pile of parts i collected over the last 2years.

Seems we have everything for the efi conversion.

Some small bits will be bought when we're actually building it. Like fuel fittings, hoses, brackets etc....

We will see how the internals of the engine look like and replace where needed.

Probably on the engine shopping list:

- Cam if needed? We need to recalculate the turbo map and chose the best cam that fit my heads and 1.25 ratio lifters

- rods. Probably H beam reinforced

- counterweight crank 8 doweled.

- shuffle pins on the case halves.

- stage 1 pressure plate combined with the 4puck i h1ve now. The PP i have now is stock, holds 165 Nm

Better to be blown than to suck!
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

If you think about it the average person speaks many different versions of English. For instance, the same word can mean different things to different people depending on where they live, grew up, family speech pattern, male or female, occupation and so on. I once figured somewhere between maybe 40 and 100 versions of the same (not so simple) English language.

Enjoy the trip to France, a good way to get other problems or worries off your mind for awhile. Then, when you get home and after you rehabilitate from the trip, you will be able to get your building skills working and camera warmed up to document your build.

Lee
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

AMEN!
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

After 1050km south we arrived at the campsite!
Setup took 3hours and now we're having dinner.

Greetz!!!!
madmike

Post by madmike »

8) 8) 8)
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Goodday!!

I had a great vacation!

Lovely weather and a great place to be! Image

They even got our country most loved beer, Jupiler in 0.5L glasses!

We had to pack everything in the pooring rain. Absolute nightmare!

Some other campings had to be evacuated and some amateur cayakers were missing.... verry sad.

Heres a pic of the river a few hours after the heavy rains

And then, at 20m of coming home my camper tow bar broke in half.
I cant imagine what would have hapenend on the freeway going 120km/h...

The securing cable was on the part that was still hooked to the car so the camper would have caused maaaaaajor mayhem.

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I had something similar happen in our motorhome when, just as we were turning onto the freeway, when my tow hitch broke at one of the bends (a "3 inch dropped hitch"). In the state I live in if a "dink" (towed vehicle) weighs over 3000lbs it must have it's brakes operated by the towing vehicle durning the whole tow. When the tow hitch broke the brakes on the dink went to full lock causing to two safety cables rip apart so there was the dink sitting in the middle of the road blocking traffic (light traffice at that time of the morning luckily).

Luckily there was also some nice people around who took us to their shop and to a parts house to get a new dropped hitch. A couple of hours later we were on the road again heading to our destination.

Scarrrrry isn't it. The pix sure looks like there was a weak spot in the join of the tube. Too much heat in the weld ????

Glad you had a good time and no one was hurt.

Lee
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

The part that broke was an inner tube section. Connecting to the chassis of the camper and on the other side connected the hitch bar. (Or how do you call it? The part that go over the cars towing ball.)

So it was the most stressed part on the whole trailer.

Easy fix, get a new, longer and thicker bar and slide it further down the bottom of the trailers chassis
petew

Post by petew »

Ouch
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

rubenski wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:54 am The part that broke was an inner tube section. Connecting to the chassis of the camper and on the other side connected the hitch bar. (Or how do you call it? The part that go over the cars towing ball.)

So it was the most stressed part on the whole trailer.

Easy fix, get a new, longer and thicker bar and slide it further down the bottom of the trailers chassis
Now you know why I add doublers over the holes (such as a washer on each side) in that situation to put back some of the strength back in the tube when a hole that big is drilled out. For some reason the bottom picture did not register with me and neither did the tube in the next pix up.

I think I saw a seam in the tube on the other side of the join so my question is was the hole drilled through the seam in portion of the tube that failed ? If so, not a good idea and the doublers should have been added to the weak spot that is the seam. I've had problems with soft material when welding around a seam in a tube myself.

Lee
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Hi.

I got my intake manifolds tacked for mockup.
When fully welded i will port them with a smooth transition.
This way all my intake tubing will be the same diameter. ImageImageImage
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

You can only fit 1 5/8th or 1 3/4 inch tubing under the alt stand without beating a dent into it for clearance.
I used tubing the same diameter as the FI endpieces and it makes it much easier to connect when putting the intake together.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

I did not foresee any clearance issues there. But if it is a problem a little dent wont harm the flow that much.

I guess...
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

The game has started!

I took off dizzy, coil, carbs and linkage, exhaust and most of the wiring.

Next is to take out the blackbox and the storage tray in the back of my buggy.
There I must make room fot the intercooler.

I fitted the end castings and they look okay! Some trimming on the left one where the nut goes on.

Maybe some more update later this evening!