nitrous/bigger turbo 1600DP?

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
snap911

nitrous/bigger turbo 1600DP?

Post by snap911 »

ive been on the site off and on over the years. time for my first post. iv been reading and reading with all of my free time(great info, vikings post really inspired me). i like to absorb as much info as possible before i buy parts or jump into a certin setup. maybe i havent read enough threads i think im on page 4 read every thread some 2 or 3 times. i havent seen anything about using nitrous to spool up a bigger turbo. viking hinted about it in a thread. i know hyper bug used it. anyone tinker with that setup, thoughts about it, how much nitrous,a formula to calculate amount of nitrous needed to spool a bigger turbo efficently would be great that is probably a answer viking would have lol. thanks in advance for any info.
madmike

Re: nitrous/bigger turbo 1600DP?

Post by madmike »

V hasn't been on here in years. :? :cry:
cool u want learn as much as possible ,,, I think I've read every post and I was on dial-up,, took all winter :lol:
No2 isn't really needed if you have the right combo, it can be done with fuel injection or like me on fixed income, I'm old sckool carb, draw Thru system,, and I had a sticker made for my back window that " doesn't apply anymore"
snap911

Post by snap911 »

i just got intrested in my bug again ( was messing a few TRX/ATC 250r) i came back to this site and saw "so you wanna go turbo." he hinted at adding a little spray to really get a turbo going. i think he also posted a video of hyper bug in that comment also. it just made me curious about the setup. i will most likely do a blow through. from reading and reading first part to get is a ms 2 in the 3 box.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Scott hasn't been on since late 2007. He disappeared even before I joined the sight. That's been almost 10 years ago.

While that thread is packed full of great info it is on the dated side since most of those listed turbos are no longer available due to the recycling craze of 2008-2012 when the metal prices were really good.
There are still good turbos to pick up but most are getting harder to find.The Subaru turbos are available and reasonably priced but anything to go draw thru is getting difficult unless you spend some money for a new one.
With me being a cheapskate they are way to pricey.

With the onset of MS1-2-3 the day of the carb has really passed in my opinion. I did my time with one but my boost goals increased faster than the carb's ability to handle it.
If you can build your own ECU and add all the options that you would want I think you can do an EFI system for about the same as a dual carb with fancy distributor.

I think I had right around $1350.00 into my setup by buying used stuff and hitting the parts cars for parts.
The turbo was cheap at $20.00 but the bends, tubing and all the hardware adds up after awhile.

Once you go above 6-8 lbs. boost you have a whole new game to play with intake cooling and some serious ignition control.

Check out the boys from Sweden's Turbo Town.....They are getting 392 plus hp out of a pretty average 1641cc engine running E85 fuel and lots of boost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvkaZ7S0nOY
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
snap911

Post by snap911 »

yeah that thread is old. the explination of how turbos work and how to get the right turbo for an enging applies. which makes a lot less scary to attempt. then reading all your ups and downs. im thinking i will save a bunch of headaches when i attempt this. as of now im still just filling my brain lol. i probably read for 2 years before i bought my honda projects. i saw the guys in sweeden it is insane that a 1641 can push that kind of hp. the whole turbo thing really came a long way since i last even thought about it, which was probably 15 years ago.
petew

Post by petew »

Let's just clarify a few things...
1. What are you using the motor/vehicle for?
2. Obviously big turbo will spool better on a big motor, what you're reasoning for sticking with a mouse motor?
3. What's your budget?

I reckon all these qu answered will help us support you better.
madmike

Post by madmike »

Luv'd my 250R's 8) still have a few trinkets , like a FTZ alky carb :lol: which is for sale :wink: :lol:
Last edited by madmike on Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
snap911

Post by snap911 »

nice madmike, im just running a little stock cyl/bore paul turner port (sleeper) on mine with an airstriker, also have some vintage racing parts collected for my never ending ATC build lol.
i wasnt actually trying to bother anyone for help yet petew, i was just curious about the setup. things have changed a lot since the last time i messed with a bug. im just reading and studing atm. it might take a month to read clonebugs build alone. the information is worth reading more than once. somehow i got to page 4 and didnt see his build thread. it was getting late so i started reading it yesterday.
petew

Post by petew »

Fair enough. It is interesting the number of the turbo mouse motors we now have on the forum. A few years back it was all 1915s and strokers. But like you say, a lot has changed and it's easier to build a great small turbo motor now. :)
snap911

Post by snap911 »

if we can only figure out how to have enough boost, 100k between rebuilds? yeah right, its never enough boost. i will need 2 turbo motors and 2 transmissions. have one ready for the inevitable hahaha
madmike

Post by madmike »

2 turbo motors :roll: :lol: that's what I did, got to have a 'backup' :wink:
elrockk

Post by elrockk »

what kind of horsepower do you think a stock 1600dp with mexican fuel injection end castings and a gt17 turbo will make im trying to figure the flow rate for fuel injectors and ill be running microsquirt
petew

Post by petew »

According to this page, somewhere around 150hp...

http://www.turbomaster.info/eng/turbos/gt15-25.php

Which is about what I have. I'm about to upgrade injectors to these, but depending on where you are you might want something different.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fuel-Inject ... SwXetZS1rC
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Just get some big ones........the addiction continues on...........;)

I ran 32# injectors on my 1679 and maxed them out at 103%. They support 230 hp at 100% DC

I now have 45# injectors and am at 70%........you can do the math..... They support 360 hp at 100%.

If I were you I would start with 32# injectors........
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
elrockk

Post by elrockk »

thanks petew ive been lurking for awhile ive watched your post and im gettting closer to getting my all my parts gathered up