My bug redoing old turbo setup, I hope!!

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.

Moderator: seabeebuggy

gwhaling

Re: My bug redoing old turbo setup, I hope!!

Post by gwhaling » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:40 pm

Is the cooler covering the fan? Sounds like a combo that is designed to murder heads to me...
[/quote]

No the cooler is deeper than the stock cooler by 1/4 inch. approx. The p.o. just left the removable air duct work off since it was in a sand rail. I will be reinstalling the ducting and extending it to fit the cooler. Will post photos of this in future.

gwhaling

Post by gwhaling » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:44 pm

Chip Birks wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:35 pm
gwhaling wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:10 pm
Was debating improving my oiling system, noticed tonight the doghouse cooler on the 2276 I bought has a 7plate cooler hanging out of it. I need to seal it in better to the dog house and try running that. Its free. Motor is also full flowed with filter, will need new hoses depending where I mount the filter. Also the stock sump has been removed and its running a screen with a small center plate, like a mini sump. I hope this combo will work for near free for my first turbo setup.
Is the cooler covering the fan? Sounds like a combo that is designed to murder heads to me...
Chip, The cooler is not covering the fan intake, It just hangs out the back of the shroud in the stock position. The p.o. just left the duct work off, probably fine in a sand rail. I will be adding , modifying the ducting. Will post photos in future of this. Glen

gwhaling

Post by gwhaling » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:49 pm

rubenski wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:59 am
Hi,

I was looking at your pics from mockup and notice the turbo being pretty low to dump the oil in the fuelpump blockoffplate.

Wouldnt it be better to install a deepsump and return into that?

Everybody always says the flow needs to be as unrestricted as possible!+
Rubenski, Yeah I am wondering if I will be enough above the fuel pump for a good return. I like the idea of returning to the top of the block above the oil level. Will go the return to added sump if need be. I have all winter to do the install.
thanks, Glen

gwhaling

Post by gwhaling » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:05 pm

I ended up getting a large flange 11/2 inch cheap empi header. Have managed to build, tack up a header pipe to mount my turbo in the position shown earlier. My plans of returning my oil to the fuel pump block off will not work. I will be adding a sump to my motor and returning the oil to the sump. Also I pulled the heads off the motor I purchased and after a quick cc/deck height check I am at 10 to 1 compression. I will be ccing all my chambers and hope/plan on getting my compression to about 8.5 to 1. Also I have decided to limit my boost to under 10 psi to help learning with carbs. will post more photos in the future. I have several month to complete this build over the winter. I am still reading and learning from all the info on this site. Lots of info/help here.

Clonebug

Post by Clonebug » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:03 pm

Can you return the oil to a valve cover???

I have been draining mine to the 3/4 valve cover for the same 6 yrs. without any oil drainage issues.
It's the gray 5/8ths inch hose under the turbo.

Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.