My draw through turbo

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
rubenski

Re: My draw through turbo

Post by rubenski »

Dont wait for Mike, get 'er done!
Better to be blown than to suck!
buguy

Post by buguy »

Ooooh. Maybe I will find some E85 and get in on some of this action!
madmike

Post by madmike »

No #'s :( just seat of the pant's Dyno aka: Butt Dyno :lol: and if you ever wasin a Muscle car You'll know the "Feeling" :wink: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I agree, it does feel good to push the local muscle around.
buguy

Post by buguy »

That would be fun. I work at a muscle car restoration shop. Sure would be fun to embarrass everyone here.
madmike

Post by madmike »

That's easy, 1915cc will spankem ,, then tell them it's only 116 C.I. that really chaps their A$$ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
buguy

Post by buguy »

I really want to see how much boost this little 1600 can take first. Also want to upgrade to a stronger trans before building a bigger engine. I hope to go fuel injection before building something else too. Learn everything on this engine, then go bigger.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Same as me mate make all the mistakes on the little 1600 then increase the CC's
Any git a question for you lot. I've made my own water injection kit and it was running great but silly me didn't put a non return valve in line before the boost pressure switch and I think the vacuum the engine produces has broken it. Anyway the way I've got it set up is having a wire come of the positive post on the battery into the window screen washer motor then the other washer motor wire then runs to one of the boost pressure senitive switch posts then the other switch post to earth. Does this sound right or should I use the boost switch to activate a relay and run the window screen washer motor of the relay?
Hope this makes sense
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

advinnie wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:32 am
buguy wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:26 am That is why I haven't switched to electric yet. I worked at a parts store when I was in college and it seemed we were having to order new ones for people weekly because of failures.
I'm going to boost reference my stock fuel pump and keep it on the car so if or should I say when the new pump packs up I will refit the stock one so at least I can get home
I'm not sure why you need to boost reference the fuel pump on a draw through yet.

You can't boost reference the stock pump without some kind of check valve due to it also seeing vacuum when off boost.

Draw through is a whole different can of worms compared to blow through and you are trying to mix both setups together.

Unless you have a dinky fuel bowl and/or are on boost for long periods of time you shouldn't need a boost referenced fuel pump either.. If per chance you do you need to address the vacuum portion of it while off boost or you won't get enough fuel due to it restricting the diaphram in cruise.

These are just my opinions through and I could be wrong.

You guys really should work on your afr's at lower boosts and cruising first and once you have that set really nice......then tune the upper boost levels.

Very few draw thru's use water injection due to the fuel cooling the the air with the venturi effect. Without knowing your IAT's you are adding water for no reason.
Us FI guys have all that info on our logs and can see what it is doing.
You draw thru guys are just guessing without that kind of info available. Any money you put into your system is just a added cost when the end result is you should be saving for the ultimate goal of FI.
Just run it as is until you can upgrade........if you want to continue this addiction.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

I fulling understand what your saying but at 3 psi fuel pressure my weber 40 dcoe carb fuel bowl was running very low after a full sprint from 0-90MPH @ 10 psi boost and that was with a 250 needle valve. After fitting the boost senitive fuel pressure regular my fuel bowl never wet dry again. Also my draw through drives just as good as a stock 1600 engine running dual dellorto's as long as the air temperature is above 10 degrees C with a minimum of 4 degrees split between air temperature and the dew point. BUT I must say I've never driven an EFI turbo bug so can't compere the two but the draw through works great on my bug. And just one more thing, put two bugs side by side one running a draw though and the other running EFI and take the engine lid off, guess witch one will pull in the crowd 😀
Also I must thank you clone bug for the help with the stock fuel pump mod. IOU one 🖒
gbaker770

Post by gbaker770 »

Its simply amazing that some people cant wrap their head around why a sidedraft carb with a tiny fuel bowl needs boost referencing.
EFI is always the same response. Many guys just don't want to deal with all of the wiring and programming not even including the costs.
And yes I, I was using an LM-2 to log AFR's on my sidedraft streetcar.
My car drove like a Cadillac on the street and ran 6.70's at only 14 psi. I. Drove my car from South St Augustine all the way to Daytona an home a few years ago so in my opinion it was a street car. Anyone who makes any sort of power that runs a sidedraft has the carb boost referenced.
Maybe my idea of power is different than others but 300 whp is just a low boost starting point.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

gbaker770 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:19 pm Its simply amazing that some people cant wrap their head around why a sidedraft carb with a tiny fuel bowl needs boost referencing.
EFI is always the same response. Many guys just don't want to deal with all of the wiring and programming not even including the costs.
And yes I, I was using an LM-2 to log AFR's on my sidedraft streetcar.
My car drove like a Cadillac on the street and ran 6.70's at only 14 psi. I. Drove my car from South St Augustine all the way to Daytona an home a few years ago so in my opinion it was a street car. Anyone who makes any sort of power that runs a sidedraft has the carb boost referenced.
Maybe my idea of power is different than others but 300 whp is just a low boost starting point.
I can't keep up with all the draw through guys.......I figured he had a Holley.........his little 1600 I doubt is going to need that much fuel.
Without setting up the pump correctly he will hinder it more than help.
Maybe you could jump in and give him a little advice on how to set up his pump so it won't see vacuum on cruise.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
gbaker770

Post by gbaker770 »

I have already said in another thread that was either his or he was involved in to put a check valve in it. I also provided a place to source the check valve. Vacuum at idle will suck the reg shut.
I also suggested that he send it to someone who specializes in sidedraft drawthroughs and told him to hit me up if he wanted the guy that has done all of mine.
He just said above he is running a 40 DCOE, I'm not sure where a Holley fits into this equation.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

advinnie wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:30 pm I fulling understand what your saying but at 3 psi fuel pressure my weber 40 dcoe carb fuel bowl was running very low after a full sprint from 0-90MPH @ 10 psi boost and that was with a 250 needle valve. After fitting the boost senitive fuel pressure regular my fuel bowl never wet dry again. Also my draw through drives just as good as a stock 1600 engine running dual dellorto's as long as the air temperature is above 10 degrees C with a minimum of 4 degrees split between air temperature and the dew point. BUT I must say I've never driven an EFI turbo bug so can't compere the two but the draw through works great on my bug. And just one more thing, put two bugs side by side one running a draw though and the other running EFI and take the engine lid off, guess witch one will pull in the crowd 😀
Also I must thank you clone bug for the help with the stock fuel pump mod. IOU one 🖒
Damn Baker...you are quick!!!
It was going to do a stealth edit...
Now you caught me....... :lol: :lol:

To Vinnie
How are you going to keep the vacuum from sucking on the diaphram at cruise??? 10 lbs vacuum means you will have no fuel pressure.
How do you know the fuel bowl was low???? Did you kill the power to the engine and pump and pull the float cover????

Post a video of your bug driving down the road in traffic and a full pull.........

If it drives so great why do you always have questions and issues that you are trying to fix????

Your welcome on the fuel pump.....I did that mod 7 years ago. and ran it that way for 2 years.........even though my carb blow through went 7000 miles I still wanted EFI.
I'll never go back to carbs.........you will always dream of EFI though....... :wink: 8)
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

gbaker770 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:50 pm I have already said in another thread that was either his or he was involved in to put a check valve in it. I also provided a place to source the check valve. Vacuum at idle will suck the reg shut.
I also suggested that he send it to someone who specializes in sidedraft drawthroughs and told him to hit me up if he wanted the guy that has done all of mine.
He just said above he is running a 40 DCOE, I'm not sure where a Holley fits into this equation.
I can't keep up with these guys.....and what they are running since their threads are usually spread all over the place.....

That might be why his holley pump puked....