My draw through turbo

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
advinnie

My draw through turbo

Post by advinnie »

Hi all need some advice on my draw through turbo set up on my 1600 big
Right I'm using a Weber 40 dcoe carb and plan to run 55 idles and 135 mains, 180 air corrections and I think it was f11's does this sound good to you lot?

All so what size vents was thinking something like 28-30 mm?
Any advice would be great

Ps I'm using an air search turbo but can't remember what size it is
petew

Re: My draw through turbo

Post by petew »

Paging Madmike!
madmike

Post by madmike »

Here I am,,
went racin :lol:
28 vents for sure
you can try the 55 idles i run 60 in my 1915cc
you must open up the pump jets
drill out the holes in the bottom of the float bowl (make them a little bigger :wink: pull out the needle an seat tell me what size the inlet valve is? start with a .250 ,,,toss out the screen/ filter thingie :lol: garb a hand full of main jets and start with the large ones :lol:
whats the biggest U have? did u boost reference the regulator yet? with a one-way check valve? MUST HAVE that!!! got to feel that baby :lol:
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Hi mate this set up was running on a 1915cc bug and the carb has not turned up yet so have no idea on what jets it actually has in it at the moment but in my hand right now I have
55 idle jets
135, 140, 152 mains
F11 tubes
175, 190 & 200 air corrections
28mm vents
I don't know what needle and seat I have at home will check that Tonight and get back to you

Now I was told that because I am only planning on a 8psi set up that I could use the stock fuel pump and fit a FIXED filter king regulator and just set it to 3psi and that there was no need to fit a boost sensitive fuel pressure regulator ?
I do have a high pressure pump (65psi) and a boost sensitive fuel regulator but then I will have to fit a fuel return line back to the tank is this correct?
I thought that you only needed boost sensitive regulators on blow through systems not draw through but I am new to this so please go easy on me 😁
madmike

Post by madmike »

yes do check the fuel inlet size when u get the carb,, if it don't have a .250 find one.
start with them 152 mains and the 175 airs( I ended up with a F7 & F11 ) yes u can have two differant mains too :lol: It's all going into the turbo :wink:
I only use/run Holley electric fuel pumps ( the red one is what I'd use) with a Holley reg boost ref it simple to do,, the thing is ,,when it comes into boost it needs a lot of fuel,, don't use the High pressure pump it's for Fuel injection well only need no more the 3 lbs idling or it WILL overcome the needle & seat valve , sorry not familiar with the filter King reg but since it's not adjustable Id keep it in the spare parts bin :wink: Also
with out a wideband, you will have no clue when u boost if your lean ,,,till u hear the 'Rattle' which is detonation :shock:
limit the timing to 24* use the highest octane fuel you can find, Pic's of ur set up will help too
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

How do I post photos on here?
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Right just had a look at my boost sensitive regulator now I have a question, can I just block of the tank return line fitting or must I have a tank return line ?
Also just done a pressure check on my stock Vw beetle fuel pump and that's able to kick out nearly 8 psi of pressure so would I really need to spend £170 on a electric pump?
madmike

Post by madmike »

forgot u across the pond, you can try a the stock pump
I run a return line on my Aeromotive Reg , just to save the pump.
u don't need a retune line on a stock pump
, you get the boot reference from the intake manifold , here's cpl. pic's one I don't have the ref. hooked up cuz I use a 4 barrel carb on that 2276cc
I add pic by clicking on attachments rite below this box i'm typing in :lol: click on add files :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

http://i66.tinypic.com/2e4i26o.jpg

Getting pissed off 😤 keeps saying file to large so he's a link to the set up I'm going to be runnong
madmike

Post by madmike »

Nice bug,, gonna have to downsize the photo,,to post here
Can u plumb an oil line thew the intake ? that helps, keeps the fuel 'atomized' :wink:
hope the motor is full flowed? have you drove this yet? looks like MSD ign.? BTM? or just a 6al?
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

That's the bug the turbo system has come from its not my bug. Yes my bug is full flowed with an external cooler and fan fitted as well as the stock dog house cooler.
I will be using a distributor that has been limit to 24 degrees BTDC.
How do you mean by pluming an oil line in?
madmike

Post by madmike »

I you have the same intake as in photo, you can flow the oil out of you cooler or filter,, threw that intake ,I have mine in the return circuit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

So the oil runs through the intake and out the other side ?
I take it this just keeps it all warm?
gbaker770

Post by gbaker770 »

You can run the pump without the return. This is called "deadheading", it will shorten the life of the pump but it will work.
Hit up Rick Rothwell for sidedraft parts and advice. Great guy, he is on the samba selling parts all the time. If you cant find his contact info PM me and I'll give you his phone number.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Cheers mate I will look him up.
So in a nut shell I should fit a boost sensitive fuel pressure regulator and a fuel return line back to the tank because although my filter king regulator witch isn't boost sensitive can and will happily maintain 3 psi that three psi ( when under boost) may not have enough glow to keep the carb float bowl topped up. Have I got this right?
Also lads I need some advice on what wideband kit to go for, do I buy one that fits permanently to the car or one witch I just slid up the exhaust and test on the drive?