My draw through turbo

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
advinnie

Re: My draw through turbo

Post by advinnie »

Hi all I'm having / had an issue with my holley blue fuel pump. The pump has only done around around 600 miles and was only fitted back in September, she was working fine the other night then yesterday morning I went out to start her and after a few seconds the engine stalled and would not start and I noticed the pump was not running. The pump was cold to the touch but the wiring and the relay was getting hot so I thought the relay had packed up. So new relay in and the pump worked. Then this morning same problem pump would not work and relay and wiring was getting warm so went and had a nice cuppa tea and went back to the bug put power on and the pump started. So headed off to work but didn't get far before the pump stopped again. I took it apart and could not see anything wrong with it but it was very dusty inside so gave it a good clean and drove the bug back home. Anyway can anyone tell me how good are these hooked blue pumps ?
Is there another make of pump I could try?
And what can cause the pump to just stop?
PS when the pump stops and power is still applied to it there is no humming or buzzing at all
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Welcome to the world of Holley fuel pumps for carbs. They were a wear item on my last draw through build. The car got a new one pretty much every season, and was pretty much a dedicated drag car. I honestly don't know where to point you, i haven't run a carb on anything in a decade, but a nice rotary returning system would be a good move.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Chip Birks wrote: ↑Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:54 pm Welcome to the world of Holley fuel pumps for carbs. They were a wear item on my last draw through build. The car got a new one pretty much every season, and was pretty much a dedicated drag car. I honestly don't know where to point you, i haven't run a carb on anything in a decade, but a nice rotary returning system With EFI would be a good move.
Fixed it for ya Chip!!!!!!
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Ha ha ha you and your EFI system 😁 I've just got this draw through system working plus EFI is going to set me back £1500
But yes you are right I will go EFI but still need to decide if I'm going to increase the engine CC's first
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

If anyone is still watching this thread here's an update on the turbo bug (blue thunder )
For a while now I've been running 12 psi boost without any issues and have decided to buy three new waste gate actuator springs. The first should allow me to hit 14 psi witch I will run for a while and make Shaw all is good still if it is I will fit the second one witch will allow me to go to 18 psi and once again I will run that for a good few weeks and if that goes ok and if my little 1600 is capable of turning the turbo even fast I will fit the last spring that will allow me to hit 20 psi boost. But I have a feeling that the 1600 and this turbo combination will only allow 14-16 psi boost. God know what 16 psi of boost is going to be like the bugs mental enough at 12 psi πŸ˜€
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

advinnie wrote:I was thinking of using it as a safety barrier against detonation in the summer months. I've all ready broken one piston ring, cylinder and head due to detonation when I was running 14 psi boost and I don't want it to happen again. I'm now hitting 11 psi boost max so starting to get close to where I was when it all went wrong for me last time.
I'm now looking at this nozzle witch is a 85cc/min
http://www.methanol-injection.co.uk/ind ... duct_id=47

So will the water injection not give me a larger safety margin in the hotter summer months?
I follow as much as i can so i can learn from others.

Be carefull with the higher boost, seems like you fried some stuff before.

I blew out the rings on my pistons too at 11psi when i had the supercharger on it...
Better to be blown than to suck!
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Yes I broke a piston ring and cranked a head 😠 due to detonation at 14 psi boost but that was in the early days when I really don't know what I was doing nor did I have any idea what my A/F ratio's where. Now I have all the gauges so I can see what's going on.
buguy

Post by buguy »

That must be a handful. Ive been trying not to wring mine out so I shift early. Only seeing 6-7psi before shifting. Still goes pretty good at that boost level. Can't even imagine 12-14 psi!
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Well my holley blue fuel pump totally died on me today when I was trying out my new waste gate actuator springs. I was quite happily hitting 12 psi in 3rd and 14/15 psi in fourth then I noticed my fuel pressure was not rising as it should so slowed down and slowly but surely I could hear the holley blue fuel pump cutting in and out and then it quit and at 1psi fuel pressure my engine ignition automatically shuts down. Anyway two hours later the recovery truck gets me home. Git a new Aeroflow blue pump on order but it's going to take 14 days to get to me so the update on if I can or can't get to a constant 18 psi boost is going to have to wait
buguy

Post by buguy »

That is why I haven't switched to electric yet. I worked at a parts store when I was in college and it seemed we were having to order new ones for people weekly because of failures.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

buguy wrote: ↑Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:35 pm That must be a handful. Ive been trying not to wring mine out so I shift early. Only seeing 6-7psi before shifting. Still goes pretty good at that boost level. Can't even imagine 12-14 psi!
Yes mate a hand fall it is. At 50mph in fourth cursing along floor it and boost kicks in and hits 12 psi and everything becomes a blur then you look at te speedo and go poop THAT'S 90MPH πŸ˜€
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

buguy wrote: ↑Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:26 am That is why I haven't switched to electric yet. I worked at a parts store when I was in college and it seemed we were having to order new ones for people weekly because of failures.
I'm going to boost reference my stock fuel pump and keep it on the car so if or should I say when the new pump packs up I will refit the stock one so at least I can get home
madmike

Post by madmike »

I wish we were closer ,I'd give you guys a ride with some real power ,, instead of your mouse motors,,, :lol: :lol: :lol:
but u guys are still havin fun ,,but it could be better :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Mate if a 1600 turbo is giving me this much fun I can't wait till I build my 2276cc turbo
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

madmike wrote: ↑Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:14 am I wish we were closer ,I'd give you guys a ride with some real power ,, instead of your mouse motors,,, :lol: :lol: :lol:
but u guys are still havin fun ,,but it could be better :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Whats the number to beat Mike? I think I've just been inspired to give this little 1641 sitting in bins under my workbench an opportunity to breathe some fire :twisted: