My draw through turbo

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
advinnie

Re: My draw through turbo

Post by advinnie »

Right I've got to ask you lot a simple question. Tonight I was driving home and decided to put the pedal down all was good through 1st 2nd and then in 3rd at around 4500rpm and 10psi boost there was a single loud bang out of the exhaust like a back fire followed by a big puff of black smoke. What would you lot say just happened?
The engine is fine drove another 10 miles after this but took it easy and kept the boost below 8psi
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Lean pop?
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

But would that produce black smoke ?
Anyway just out of interest cause I am still new to the boosting game what is considered to be an average boost level and what is considered to be high?
madmike

Post by madmike »

Wastegate?
depends on your fuel. with just premium I can get up to 8-10lbs without pinging :wink: :lol:
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

I'm using Super Unleaded (97/98 RON) UK 🇬🇧 what that is equal to in the states I'm not sure?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I've run as much as 24psi on 91 octane with mine. I don't have flat top pistons through. Typical flat top motors are happy in the range Mike just stated. Add a shot of methanol into the intake and you can go much higher. Clonebug runs 22-23psi all the time. I tend to keep mine in the 14-18 psi range on the street. I run e85, and at that boost level i almost can't hurt it. I hope to turn it up much higher in the next couple weeks. Hoping to get a solid pass out of it on the racetrack before the snow flies.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

My engine, clutch and tyres seem very happy with just 8-10 psi of boost and so am I, 14psi is just to much to soon for now.
Right until santa comes this xmas and brings me my mega jolt ignition system or similar how can I get fix of the dam flat spot when I put my foot down on this 009 distributor?
There's no flat sport if I drive it like a granny put if I floor it for a brief second the engine stumbles slightly before picking up
madmike

Post by madmike »

I fixed it with a 4 barrel Demon :lol:
you should check your pump jets I drilled mine on the DOCE to .70 :shock: :wink:
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Strange you should say that I've just increased my 50 pump jets to a pair of 70 pump jets and that's almost got rid of the flat spot
madmike

Post by madmike »

:lol:
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Ever get the feeling that some people just can't complete the most simplest of tasks?
I sent a company this photo and a description say I need this actuator with a 90mm external length shaft
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

And they send me this with a 50mm external length shaft
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
madmike

Post by madmike »

I don't care for the internal gate/built in type , I prefer the external type's :wink:
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

I just want to get this thing running good, it's just one thing after another. Now that I've got the correct length rod and the wastegate is working how it should plus I've got rid of the small stumble when you go from a cruise throttle position to a half throttle position I decided to now go from a cruise throttle position to a WOT position and the bug just noise dives the engine looses all power is as if the ignition has just been turned of. If I hold my foot down at WOT for a second the engine stops but if I then go back to a cruise position the engine instantly comes back to life but hold that WOT for four seconds or more the engine does stop?
But if I slowly build to a WOT position she is fine it's just when you rapidly do it the engine stops
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Hi all I may have missed under stood something here, I've set up my timing to be 24 BTDC @ 3200 rpm but have just read that it should be set at 24 BTDC @ 2500rpm is this true?
And I must thank everyone on here for helping me out so much 😁