My draw through turbo

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
advinnie

Re: My draw through turbo

Post by advinnie »

If it's not one thing it's another with the bug. I've just got the carb jetting spot on so decided to go for a drive but as soon as I set off I knew something was amiss. I had to push the throttle pedal a lot further than normal to get the same performance so turned around and headed for hone. Started having a look around at the engine and all seem good so then had a look at the throttle cable where it attaches to the pedal unit to fine that it's all being held together by just two threads all the others have snapped for some reason?
I have a car rally parade in my local area this bloody Sunday as well so really hoping the post office get me my new throttle cable to me in time
buguy

Post by buguy »

I just got a length of cable from Ace Hardware and a couple barrel clamps there too. I just made a loop on the pedal end, snugged it around the pedal shaft and used the barrel clamp to hold the cable together. Another barrel clamp on the carb to hold it there too. I just cut mine to length.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Well today while waiting for my new throttle cable I decided to play with the pump jets in the Weber 40 dcoe carb. Now I know the answer to the following question is a NO but can someone please tell me what could be happening.
Can changing the pump jets affect the idle speed?

The reason I ask is that I've been running .70 pump jets for a very long time and my idle has always been a solid 1000rpm but today all I did was to swap out the .70 pump jets for a pair of .50's and the bug has never felt as light or as response as she now does BUT since changing the pump jets the (and that's all I changed) the Rick solid idle speed of 1000rpm has dropped by 200rpm so it's now down to 800rpm but how can changing the pump jets affect the idle?
Could it be one of the old pump jets was leaking ?
Any ideas at all
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

I have no ideas on the jets,

But when i launched my previous bug hard a few times i broke the accel cable too...

Must be from tilting the engine and stretching the cable.

Taie a look at your transmision mounts.

Grtz
Better to be blown than to suck!
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

advinnie wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:35 am Well today while waiting for my new throttle cable I decided to play with the pump jets in the Weber 40 dcoe carb. Now I know the answer to the following question is a NO but can someone please tell me what could be happening.
Can changing the pump jets affect the idle speed?

The reason I ask is that I've been running .70 pump jets for a very long time and my idle has always been a solid 1000rpm but today all I did was to swap out the .70 pump jets for a pair of .50's and the bug has never felt as light or as response as she now does BUT since changing the pump jets the (and that's all I changed) the Rick solid idle speed of 1000rpm has dropped by 200rpm so it's now down to 800rpm but how can changing the pump jets affect the idle?
Could it be one of the old pump jets was leaking ?
Any ideas at all
You have stated in the past that fuel mileage isn't great, haven't you? Maybe your jets were a little leaky. Does the tune still seem okay? Is your afr still rich everywhere like before?
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

The bug has never driven as good as it does right now. It feels light and very responsive and a lot quicker of the line and when off boost. Fuel consumption has also improved. There's no more black smoke one I floor it and the exhaust sounds shaper and happer. I've only done a few max boost runs and at the moment I'm only hitting 7psi max before the wastegate kicks in and holds me at that pressure and I'm getting a 12.7:1 A/F ratio at that pressure with a 13.5:1 A/F ratio when cruising.
The gearbox mounts look good I to thought it could be the engine moving around and over loading the throttle cable.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Get a PLX wideband with Multigauge......you can thank me later. This unit never needs calibration. It even has a life meter to check the condition of the sensor.
Weld a bung at the 10:00 or 2:00 position right after the turbo to keep it out of the condensation which kills sensors.

http://www.plxdevices.com/Wideband-O2-T ... 002719.htm

You will probably need to extend the sensor wire if you install the controller inside up front of the dash but it is a simple Mini Molex connector available online for a few bucks. Crimp the wires with a quality crimper or send them to Mario like I did and have him build it. He built me two cables and I still have the 4 ft extension as a spare.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

My aem wideband/boostgauge never failed in 3years. The sensor is even pointed a bit down.

Highly recomendable!
Better to be blown than to suck!
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

That's nice I want one but can't find it in the UK
buguy

Post by buguy »

When I ran my PLX it reached without extending it. But just barely. I had to pull the connector up into the back of the car. So when I want to remove it I have to turn the exhaust off of the sensor. I think I might be able to pull it back enough to get the connector out though but I haven't tried.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Any if you lot running an oil separator on your turbo set ups?
And is one really needed?
Cheers
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Any of you lot running an oil separator on your turbo set ups?
And is one really needed?
Cheers
panel

Post by panel »

I'm running an AOS. Quite popular with the Subaru crowd.
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Hi all not be on here lately due to being pretty ill but I'm all fixed now and have finally fitted my gearbox mid mount http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp ... 26-311-204
I watch three videos showing to fit it witch looked quite simple and the three video where 8 minutes, 10 minutes and 13 long from start to finish guess how long it took me 2 bloody hours and at NO point did the say you have to trim the rubber mounts nor in any of the videos did they get covered in gearbox oil oil when they removed the lower four nose cone bolts 😠.
Anyway the mid mount is in and boy does the bug feel different to drive. All my gearbox mounts were new and in good shape but the engine was moving around a little and the gear stick would also move about when driving hard but now the gear stick is solid and the back end feels so much tighter and stable. Very happy with the out come 😁
madmike

Post by madmike »

Yea, their a PITA to install :roll: but worth it :wink: 8)
and does the same job as my expensive 'Berg' :lol: