My draw through turbo

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
advinnie

Re: My draw through turbo

Post by advinnie »

Hi all I'm back. I've been reading and some people are saying I need a check valve on the boost line that goes to the boost sensitive fuel pressure regulator and some say I don't, are you lot using one?
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Hi all I'm back. I've been reading and some people are saying I need a check valve on the boost line that goes to the boost sensitive fuel pressure regulator and some say I don't, are you lot using one?
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Also pump jets 50 or 70?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

advinnie wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:35 am Hi all I'm back. I've been reading and some people are saying I need a check valve on the boost line that goes to the boost sensitive fuel pressure regulator and some say I don't, are you lot using one?
Yes, you don't want it screwing with your fuel pressure while off boost.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Chip Birks wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:55 pm
advinnie wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:35 am Hi all I'm back. I've been reading and some people are saying I need a check valve on the boost line that goes to the boost sensitive fuel pressure regulator and some say I don't, are you lot using one?
With a draw through carb, the engine is ALWAYS NA as far as the carb can see.

You shouldn't even need a boost sensitive pressure regulator unless your bowl inlet needle won't flow enough fuel.

If you are using a Weber carb draw through you can't really feed it over 3 PSI anyway or it becomes bad fuel injection.
(uncontrolled fuel leak)

IF you are running EFI, having it connected is proper (but not required) as the manifold vacuum effects the injector flow.
With EFI you can tune it either direct connected to manifold vac or not referenced or with check valve boosted.
(not manifold ref under vacuum may make tuning it a little easier)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
panel

Post by panel »

I ran one......you can kinda make it out behind the stainless braided line above the orange battery line/above the aluminum intake.

'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Piledriver wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:01 pm

With a draw through carb, the engine is ALWAYS NA as far as the carb can see.

You shouldn't even need a boost sensitive pressure regulator unless your bowl inlet needle won't flow enough fuel.

If you are using a Weber carb draw through you can't really feed it over 3 PSI anyway or it becomes bad fuel injection.
(uncontrolled fuel leak)

IF you are running EFI, having it connected is proper (but not required) as the manifold vacuum effects the injector flow.
With EFI you can tune it either direct connected to manifold vac or not referenced or with check valve boosted.
(not manifold ref under vacuum may make tuning it a little easier)
This is a sidedraft draw through fuel enrichment trick people have been doing for decades. Correct or not, it does what it needs to do float bowl is too small to provide an adequate supply, dellorto guys drill out the bottom of the float bowl to add capacity, they also add the pressure line to the regulator, with a one way valve, to quickly refill the bowl under boost. Good, bad or indifferent, its what we have done for a long time. If you don't do it while running a sidedraft weber or dell, the car won't run well under boost. Add that silly little line and the engine wakes up, makes a huge difference.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Someone please help me out here I can't seem to get this right in my head.
If I fit a non return valve on the boost line going to the fuel regulator I under stand that when boost comes on the boost pressure over powers the valve and then the pressure hits the regulator and it increases fuel pressure BUT when boost decreases the non return valve will shut but surely it will hold some pressure in the line between the valve and regulator giving me the wrong fuel pressure?
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Can someone send me a link to what check valve I need please 😁
madmike

Post by madmike »

try the 70 pump jet,, here's a pic for you, it's just a one-way 'smog valve' of some type u can blow air thew it only one-way :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

But that's just a simple non return valve surly if I was on boost say 10psi and I suddenly come of the throttle that non return valve will close and trap some of the boost pressure in the boost sensitive fuel pressure line causing the regulator to produce to much fuel pressure?
madmike

Post by madmike »

Quit over thinking :roll: :lol:
It bleeds off the pressure :wink:
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Drill a tiny hole in a brass nipple if you want the excess pressure to bleed out.

I did that with my MBC when I built one out of a 1/8 inch brass Tee.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »