My draw through turbo

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
advinnie

Re: My draw through turbo

Post by advinnie »

Right been playing around and here's the results
With the waste gate locked shut
1st gear = zero boost
2nd gear = 1 psi @ 4000 rpm & 2psi @ 5200
3rd gear = 3 psi @ 3000rpm & 6 psi @5200
4th gear = 3psi @ 3000 rpm & 8 /9 psi & 5200

Now the results with the waste gate actuator all connected up
1st= zero boost
2nd = zero boost
3rd = 2psi max @ 5200 rpm
4th = 3 psi max & 5200 rpm
Volky

Post by Volky »

Hi Advinnie,

I had similar results at first just like you; No Boost or 3psi tops. Result: Boost leak. I have the CB Performance hideaway header and the leak was from the union of the J tube to the front tubes. I had to use 2 copper gaskets on those since they welded them crooked and still you can see through the gaskets.

So, I decided to go to a muffler shop and relocate the wastegate flange and while i was there I told them to heat up that section of the header where I used to gaskets. They aligned both sides and now I use one gasket and ZERO boost leaks.

Boosting 15psi...no problems son far.
1970 VW Beetle with 2109cc turbo with MS-II v3.0, wasted spark, electronic boost controller, dual table, launch control and 3.88 tranny. All done by me...:) t03 running 48lb. Injectors, Intercooler, Water/Meth injection at 15psi.
petew

Post by petew »

Yeah, my turbo runs out of efficiency pretty quickly after 14psi. ;)
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Had a boost leak check done today and one of the manifold boots was leaking badly, they put 10psi in and with in a second it was gone 😩
Anyway it's all sorted now and I'm hitting 12 psi at 4000rpm and that was going down hill 😁 So I guess I better get the wast gate actuator working
PS I would happily say that when on boost (9psi) it is just as quick as my old 2276cc motor that cost me £6000 to build. Boost is so addictive
Volky

Post by Volky »

advinnie wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:48 am Boost is so addictive
Yeah, and I was only going to run 7psi...Who was i kidding? :shock:
1970 VW Beetle with 2109cc turbo with MS-II v3.0, wasted spark, electronic boost controller, dual table, launch control and 3.88 tranny. All done by me...:) t03 running 48lb. Injectors, Intercooler, Water/Meth injection at 15psi.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

In this photo you can see the stock oil pressure switch and a pressure sensor for my dash gauge plus at the top of the photo you can just about see an oil hose witch is the turbo oil feed line. Now my question is with the oil pressure switch and sensor in this position would I be reading the turbo oil feed pressure or the engine oil pressure?

The new problem is that every now and then and only when I'm on boost or just coming of bossy the oil light comes on 😡
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

Volky wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:30 am
advinnie wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:48 am Boost is so addictive
Yeah, and I was only going to run 7psi...Who was i kidding? :shock:
Ha ha ha I love boost 😁
But please help me with my new problem
66brm

Post by 66brm »

Do you have a restrictor in the turbo oil feed? Or a deep sump?It should be seeing engine pressure ,you may be running out of oil or sucking air somewhere
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

No deep sump and no restrictor in the oil feed line. The oil feed line has two connectors one on the turbo and one on the T piece witch have a 4.75mm hole and the hose in between has a 6mm ID
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

My mistake although I did top up the oil to full the other day before it's first start up I hadn't checked it since until today and it was on the min mark on the dipstick. Got to ask are you lot venting the engine case back into the carb or are you just using a filter on the vent on the filler neck?
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

I've had to drop the boost down a bit tonight cause I can now hit 14psi of boost in 4th gear and that was while I was going down a big hill but at the bottom I spun the car around and started going back up the big hill and at only 9psi of boost the stock clutch was starting to slip and by 12psi boost the clutch had totally given up trying to do it job so looks like a new uprated clutch and pressure plate are next but that will have to wait for now while I have some fun
madmike

Post by madmike »

Glad you found the leak :wink:
stage one/1700lbs pressure plate and a good disc( I run a 4 puck with center spring) no slipping even with Slicks :lol:
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

It's wasn't my clutch slipping I was wrong it's my tryes loosing traction.
Now I've got my LM-2 A/F kit and am finding it really hard to set it to 14.7 at 850-900rpm idle speed even with both mixture screws opened just 1/4 turn I'm still reading 26.8 on the gauge but soon as I open the throttle a little to 1000rpm and hold it I get a reading of just 11.2. So please tell me if this is ok, I've sent the idle to 1100 set the A/F to 19.7 and that's with both mixture screws only a half turn out from seated so I'm guessing I need small idle jets?
advinnie

Post by advinnie »

This is my Weber 40 dcoe set up

28 vents
55F9 idles
F11 emulsion tubes
180 airs
50 pumps
160 mains

Do you think the mains are a little over the top?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Afr at idle doesn't really matter a whole lot as long as its happy. Set your jetting and mixture stuff to have enough fuel for when you are putting a load on it. Thats what matters. Nobody splits cylinders at idle.