Mysterious oil leaks caused by boost?

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
buguy

Re: Mysterious oil leaks caused by boost?

Post by buguy »

I've read the cheapest way to do water meth is to buy methanol from a local speed shop type place and mix your own. Most recommend to get it in 5 gallon jugs. Just have to remember to mix it by weight as water and meth don't weigh the same so 50/50 isn't quite right.
The reason I asked about placement is I've heard the pumps are kind of loud. I will be interested to hear your thoughts on that once you have yours in place.
petew

Post by petew »

slowsixtyduece wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:17 pm Do they not offer free shipping to your location? Or is it the exchange rate that make the price go up? Where are you gonna be visiting in the US this year? Is Colorado on your list?
The only company I've found in the US that ships free to Sydney, Australia is bestbassgear.com. The rest seem to find the most expensive shipping possible. The AU$ is about US0.75c at the moment, which makes it even worse. Mostly, when something arrives in Australia it's cost a bit more than double the cost in US dollars. Sending components back to the US is even more expensive. On the upside, Chinese ebay parts are VERY cheap, albeit slow to arrive.

We're coming to the US in August. We'll be visiting NYC, but primarily hiring a car and driving Route 66 with lots of time to poke about and see interesting things. We've just been invited to Indiana, no reason why we couldn't have a look at Colorado too.
madmike

Post by madmike »

as for the sand seal ,, I think as long as you have a real good breather system,it should stop the leak,,, Mine leaks :roll: your is just 'Misting' :lol:
sidemarkers

Post by sidemarkers »

That would be my guess, where else do you have an open window to the inner oily crankcase? Peak cylinder pressure with turbo engines registers in the thousands there might be a good chance a shockwave or two could wiggle past the pulley and spritz some dino juice.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Thanks for starting this thread. It reminded me to examine my own leak. Mine seemed to be just fine at idle but once you spin it up it leaked real bad. My valve cover gaskets are old and I just had the valve covers off to check lash. I didn't really think much about it before but when I put this engine in there was this hole in the fan shroud and an opening in the oil fill. They were about the same size so I simply connected them. Pulled it off the other night and was shocked at how much air that nipple in the fan shroud put out at rpms. It was really filling the valve cover with air and pushing it out the top.
petew

Post by petew »

What the heck is that!?! That's nuts! Geez. Block that off and get a catch can and breather.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I found what looks like a carb vacuum line block off and put it on the fan. And we recently got a spool gun at work for welding aluminum so I'm going to try to make a breather box. From the pictures I found it looks like when it was stock it went to the carb. I didn't get a carb with this engine so I didn't know that at the time.
madmike

Post by madmike »

This one is 'shop made' bungs on the side should be lower but u can get an Idea how it's made :wink: they work great ,,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
slowsixtyduece

Post by slowsixtyduece »

Since I dont have a TIG welder or access to one, I bought an E-bay breather/catch can. Most of the cheap VW specific breather boxes they make just arent big enough and they just use foam to separate air from oil that eventually breaks down. And I didnt love the square box look...kind of wanted round. This one is similar to the one I purchased for $65:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/K-MOTOR-AN10-A ... 2467846322

It is actually a decent unit and has mesh screen in part of the can to separate the air from the oil. It also has a petcock at the bottom. Once I received mine, I totally redid it, drilling out the factory holes and installing CB's 1/2" breather fittings w/ rubber o rings. I also installed a different fitting on the bottom where the petcock was to allow the oil to drain back into 3/4 side valve cover. So far so good, except for the leak from the crank pulley of course.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Hey guys I want to make one. Really should just buy one because I'm working a ton but I like to make stuff. Any advice on what would be a good size? I will be making mine out of aluminum flat stock so it will be rectangle.
seabeebuggy

Post by seabeebuggy »

Mine used to do that with total seal rings. After replacing them (due to detonation) Retuned it. No more issues and no vents.