Question about oil

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
beaker

Question about oil

Post by beaker »

so i running a 2332 efi, megasuirt controled boosted bug. running 8 psi of boost until i get a bigger trans then turning it up to 15.

last week my oil was running really warm so i got to thinking why not go dry sump for the capacity and ability to cool it a bit better.

has anyone here had success doing so? thoughts?
beetle.jpg
pic for attention
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
madmike

Re: Question about oil

Post by madmike »

I think it will help with freeing up some Horsepower. but do we really need more? :lol: as for cooling the oil ,, where u going to stick the 8-9qt.Tank? insider the cockpit It will get warm in their :roll:
I have ran up to 3 coolers
I don't have the Doghouse(stock) but an over the trans empi plate style w/fan and a finned tube style 'Buggy' cooler ,blockoff/tapped at the stock DH location , see pic ,just above the turbo is the 'Finned tube'
and when I ran a sidedraft carb the intake plumbed helped too.
my oil temps are 180*-210* on the Highway 55-75 mph :wink: I can live with that :lol:
only thing I've done to my 'Stock' IRS trans was a HD sidecover & a 10/15 tooth Old Super Diff :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Volky

Post by Volky »

Beaker,

I run a 2109cc Turbo Bug, too. I have a 1.5qt sump and oil cooler since day one when it was a N/A engine. I installed it initially on the 1776cc engine since I had spare change around. This way I would know the oil will bee nice and cool when flooring it. I have a led indicator on the dash for the fan. Ever since it's 2109cc (about a month) the fan turns on more than when it was 1776cc. Currently running at 15psi with water/meth. Still in the tuning process.
1970 VW Beetle with 2109cc turbo with MS-II v3.0, wasted spark, electronic boost controller, dual table, launch control and 3.88 tranny. All done by me...:) t03 running 48lb. Injectors, Intercooler, Water/Meth injection at 15psi.
beaker

Post by beaker »

im running a oil cooler, but its just not keeping it cool enough. cant run a deep sump due to clearance issues. i was thinking if i ran a dry sump the volume of oil would help, id still be running a cooler.

anyone have any ideas on how to cool it a bit more?
madmike

Post by madmike »

I think deep sumps are a Must have on any VW motor :lol:
petew

Post by petew »

beaker wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:49 am im running a oil cooler, but its just not keeping it cool enough. cant run a deep sump due to clearance issues. i was thinking if i ran a dry sump the volume of oil would help, id still be running a cooler.

anyone have any ideas on how to cool it a bit more?
First up, a few basic things.
1. Are you running all the tinware around the motor?
2. Have you sealed up all the gaps around the fan housing and cylinder tins?
3. Have you got the tins underneath the barrels that force the air to go all the way around?
These three things have an enormous effect on cooling. Stock cooling fans are actually pretty effective. Also don't be running a "power pulley" unless you're doing lots of revs. It'll be slowing the fan and making the cooling less effective.

About oil coolers. A dog house oil cooler will deal with a lot of heat, much better than a standard cooler. Laminar airflow to an external oil cooler is more important and more effective than a fan. Fans will actually suck more power out of the motor and make it hotter if the setup is not supplying the external oil cooler properly. In fact, in certain situations, they'll stop air flowing through the cooler properly.

About deep sumps. If there's any way you can run even a slim deep sump, it will make a big difference to the heat of the motor on the freeway. The aluminum sheds heat dramatically. If not, bigger oil coolers are the answer. The Race shop twin cab bus used a helicopter oil cooler on an IDA equipped stoker (2180cc IIRC). It towed the inch pincher coast to coast and still has the original motor in it today. Just make sure you're using a thermostat with lots of extra oil capacity.
seabeebuggy

Post by seabeebuggy »

i just added a low profile slump, a 96 pass cooler over the trans with a fan and a large truck oil filter. it hols 7qts of 50w and i boost all day in the sand. I see temps but limited to about 220. I run a stock doghouse with cooler too.
panel

Post by panel »

Beaker.....is that your car?
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
beaker

Post by beaker »

sure is my car.
panel

Post by panel »

Got any more pics of the car and/or engine area? That thing is sweet!
beaker wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:15 pm sure is my car.
beaker

Post by beaker »

insta name is @beekermike. theres lots of pics and videos there.

kinda a build thread here.

https://www.reality-check.ca/threads/my ... ug.405545/
petew

Post by petew »

Just started following you on instagram. This is me...
https://www.instagram.com/reverendrally/

It always astounds me how you guys get away with running around with a swag full of engine hanging out the back. We'd get defected off the road for that.
beaker

Post by beaker »

I love the way you did the trim on the side of your car.

i blew the trans up a few months ago, then bought a 69 vw westy dormibile.

im now thinking i might run the 2332 in the camper, same turbo build as it is now, and then run something huge in the bug. i feel like 300hp isnt enough. i want more.
panel

Post by panel »

Great stuff and really cool ride , thx!
beaker wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:38 pm insta name is @beekermike. theres lots of pics and videos there.

kinda a build thread here.

https://www.reality-check.ca/threads/my ... ug.405545/
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

madmike wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:04 am I think deep sumps are a Must have on any VW motor :lol:
I agree with this. Drag racers as long as I can remember have had deep sumps for oil starvation problems at the launch. When track racing oil slosh on hard acceleration or hard cornering is a problem to be looked at. They used to put (gated?) baffles in the pans of some race cars to stop or slowdown the buildup on oil in one area as compared to another area of the pan such as by the oil pickup.

Cooling is another problem that can be helped by a deep sump assuming air gets to the area and there are ribs to let the air carry away some of the heat.

I now off-road on the sand and I switched to a deep sump as when I went down steep dune face the idiot light would come on after a bit after the oil pressure gauge went to "0".
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.