Cylinder Head Temp Gauge

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
sidemarkers

Cylinder Head Temp Gauge

Post by sidemarkers »

Who has experience with a decent gauge for reading cylinder head temps? I would consider a multi-channel style as well as a single. Is there an advantage to using a sending unit vs. sparkplug mount?
rubenski

Re: Cylinder Head Temp Gauge

Post by rubenski »

I have a cheap one from ebay. Has a ring on it to fit under a sparkplug but due to the spark plug being too deep in the head, i bolted it under the screw next to it that holds the tin.
Better to be blown than to suck!
madmike

Post by madmike »

don't have one on the Turbo Bug :oops: but on my 70 bus w/2110cc I have the standard VDO and it works great(just don't weld in new floor section with the gauge hooked up) yepper, it will fry it :cry: had to cut a small notch for the sender to clear #3,, dremel will work
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

I think the best bang for the money is the Dakota Digital versions, the styling is...well digital, but it makes up for that by being a modern temperature compensated warning capable tool. I remember only single channel versions.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/ ... prd347.htm

I would only consider the under spark plug senders, any other place is not consider a reliable spot/slow and you will be on your own.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
rs58rag

Post by rs58rag »

Ended up putting sender on #3 exhaust stud with washers sandwiching it. Got scary when it would bind up while installing or removing on spark plug.
sidemarkers

Post by sidemarkers »

rs58rag wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:19 pm Ended up putting sender on #3 exhaust stud with washers sandwiching it. Got scary when it would bind up while installing or removing on spark plug.
I'm hoping the sender will work with 3/4 inch spark plug heads. The standard spark plugs heads are quite deep in the area where the sender is supposed to go.
sidemarkers

Post by sidemarkers »

sideshow wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:27 pm I think the best bang for the money is the Dakota Digital versions, the styling is...well digital, but it makes up for that by being a modern temperature compensated warning capable tool. I remember only single channel versions.

I would only consider the under spark plug senders, any other place is not consider a reliable spot/slow and you will be on your own.
Very cool, thanks for the info. I saw the dakota CHT gauges advertised but I had no idea they had a warning device built in.
Volky

Post by Volky »

sidemarkers wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:01 am
sideshow wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:27 pm I think the best bang for the money is the Dakota Digital versions, the styling is...well digital, but it makes up for that by being a modern temperature compensated warning capable tool. I remember only single channel versions.

Very cool, thanks for the info. I saw the dakota CHT gauges advertised but I had no idea they had a warning device built in.
I have one of these since 2010 aprox. no issues at all. Recently I changed the sender to 12mm since I put on some Panchito heads from CB.
1970 VW Beetle with 2109cc turbo with MS-II v3.0, wasted spark, electronic boost controller, dual table, launch control and 3.88 tranny. All done by me...:) t03 running 48lb. Injectors, Intercooler, Water/Meth injection at 15psi.
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

Where are you folks getting the ring terminals to make your own? I seem to have trouble sourcing one or two for a stock plug. I have some thermocouple wiring and a Fluke to test, but just cant find the correct sized ring terminal.
'74 Standard- 2084T, MS3X3
'76 Westy- Stock 2.0L L-Jet
My Megasquirt Turbo Build
2084 Turbo Build
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

kangaboy wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:50 pm Where are you folks getting the ring terminals to make your own? I seem to have trouble sourcing one or two for a stock plug. I have some thermocouple wiring and a Fluke to test, but just cant find the correct sized ring terminal.
I have always just reamed out 12mm-1/2" ring terminals for 14mm.
A lot of better hardware stores have the ring terminals in ~all sizes.
I have even seen them at Home Depot.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
mads b (dk)

Post by mads b (dk) »

Does any know if there is spark plug mounted temperature display with a analog 0-5volt output

Sendt fra min SM-G935F med Tapatalk

mads b (dk)

Post by mads b (dk) »

mads b (dk) wrote:Does any know if there is spark plug mounted temperature display with a analog 0-5volt output

I have ordered this.....

AD8495 Armz Thermal K-Type Thermocouple Amplifier Analog Output Precision Module
http://s.aliexpress.com/EZRneamU
(from AliExpress Android)

kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

Could meqasquirt use the info generated by the module to display/log head temps?
'74 Standard- 2084T, MS3X3
'76 Westy- Stock 2.0L L-Jet
My Megasquirt Turbo Build
2084 Turbo Build
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

kangaboy wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:39 pm Could meqasquirt use the info generated by the module to display/log head temps?
Sure, given a free analog input.

A lot of the modern tc modules use i2c comms, so could potentially talk directly to an ms3, given support in the firmware.
An ms2 might be able to do it via a tinyiox.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
yellow_snocone

Post by yellow_snocone »

Excuse my ignorance but what is a tinyiox?