Cylinder Head Temp Gauge

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.

Moderator: seabeebuggy

sidemarkers
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:58 pm

Cylinder Head Temp Gauge

Post by sidemarkers » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:19 pm

Who has experience with a decent gauge for reading cylinder head temps? I would consider a multi-channel style as well as a single. Is there an advantage to using a sending unit vs. sparkplug mount?

User avatar
rubenski
Posts: 543
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:28 am

Re: Cylinder Head Temp Gauge

Post by rubenski » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:15 am

I have a cheap one from ebay. Has a ring on it to fit under a sparkplug but due to the spark plug being too deep in the head, i bolted it under the screw next to it that holds the tin.
Better to be blown than to suck!

madmike
Posts: 1127
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:11 pm
Location: Atlanta,Michigan

Re: Cylinder Head Temp Gauge

Post by madmike » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:26 am

don't have one on the Turbo Bug :oops: but on my 70 bus w/2110cc I have the standard VDO and it works great(just don't weld in new floor section with the gauge hooked up) yepper, it will fry it :cry: had to cut a small notch for the sender to clear #3,, dremel will work

User avatar
sideshow
Posts: 3212
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:00 pm
Location: suth'ern oraygun yusa
Contact:

Re: Cylinder Head Temp Gauge

Post by sideshow » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:27 pm

I think the best bang for the money is the Dakota Digital versions, the styling is...well digital, but it makes up for that by being a modern temperature compensated warning capable tool. I remember only single channel versions.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/ ... prd347.htm
Image

I would only consider the under spark plug senders, any other place is not consider a reliable spot/slow and you will be on your own.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.

rs58rag
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: Cylinder Head Temp Gauge

Post by rs58rag » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:19 am

Ended up putting sender on #3 exhaust stud with washers sandwiching it. Got scary when it would bind up while installing or removing on spark plug.

sidemarkers
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:58 pm

Re: Cylinder Head Temp Gauge

Post by sidemarkers » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:59 am

rs58rag wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:19 am
Ended up putting sender on #3 exhaust stud with washers sandwiching it. Got scary when it would bind up while installing or removing on spark plug.
I'm hoping the sender will work with 3/4 inch spark plug heads. The standard spark plugs heads are quite deep in the area where the sender is supposed to go.

sidemarkers
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:58 pm

Re: Cylinder Head Temp Gauge

Post by sidemarkers » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:01 am

sideshow wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:27 pm
I think the best bang for the money is the Dakota Digital versions, the styling is...well digital, but it makes up for that by being a modern temperature compensated warning capable tool. I remember only single channel versions.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/ ... prd347.htm
Image

I would only consider the under spark plug senders, any other place is not consider a reliable spot/slow and you will be on your own.
Very cool, thanks for the info. I saw the dakota CHT gauges advertised but I had no idea they had a warning device built in.

User avatar
Volky
Posts: 282
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:39 pm
Location: A very hot Island with killer BUGS!!!

Re: Cylinder Head Temp Gauge

Post by Volky » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:20 pm

sidemarkers wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:01 am
sideshow wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:27 pm
I think the best bang for the money is the Dakota Digital versions, the styling is...well digital, but it makes up for that by being a modern temperature compensated warning capable tool. I remember only single channel versions.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/ ... prd347.htm
Image

I would only consider the under spark plug senders, any other place is not consider a reliable spot/slow and you will be on your own.
Very cool, thanks for the info. I saw the dakota CHT gauges advertised but I had no idea they had a warning device built in.
I have one of these since 2010 aprox. no issues at all. Recently I changed the sender to 12mm since I put on some Panchito heads from CB.
1970 VW Beetle with 2109cc turbo with MS-II v3.0, wasted spark with MSD coilpack, dual table, launch control and 3.88 tranny. All done by me...:) t03 running 48lb. Injectors, Intercooler, Water/Meth injection at 15psi.

User avatar
kangaboy
Posts: 742
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:01 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Cylinder Head Temp Gauge

Post by kangaboy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:50 pm

Where are you folks getting the ring terminals to make your own? I seem to have trouble sourcing one or two for a stock plug. I have some thermocouple wiring and a Fluke to test, but just cant find the correct sized ring terminal.
'74 Standard- 1776T, MS3X3
'76 Westy- Stock 2.0L L-Jet

User avatar
Piledriver
Moderator
Posts: 21748
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 3:01 am
Location: Van Alstyne, Texas

Re: Cylinder Head Temp Gauge

Post by Piledriver » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:23 am

kangaboy wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:50 pm
Where are you folks getting the ring terminals to make your own? I seem to have trouble sourcing one or two for a stock plug. I have some thermocouple wiring and a Fluke to test, but just cant find the correct sized ring terminal.
I have always just reamed out 12mm-1/2" ring terminals for 14mm.
A lot of better hardware stores have the ring terminals in ~all sizes.
I have even seen them at Home Depot.
I, for one, regularly embrace our new robot overlords, as I am the guy fixing the robots...

mads b (dk)
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:48 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Cylinder Head Temp Gauge

Post by mads b (dk) » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:55 am

Does any know if there is spark plug mounted temperature display with a analog 0-5volt output

Sendt fra min SM-G935F med Tapatalk


mads b (dk)
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:48 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Cylinder Head Temp Gauge

Post by mads b (dk) » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:09 pm

mads b (dk) wrote:Does any know if there is spark plug mounted temperature display with a analog 0-5volt output

Sendt fra min SM-G935F med Tapatalk
I have ordered this.....

AD8495 Armz Thermal K-Type Thermocouple Amplifier Analog Output Precision Module
http://s.aliexpress.com/EZRneamU
(from AliExpress Android)

Sendt fra min SM-G935F med Tapatalk


User avatar
kangaboy
Posts: 742
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:01 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Cylinder Head Temp Gauge

Post by kangaboy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:39 pm

Could meqasquirt use the info generated by the module to display/log head temps?
'74 Standard- 1776T, MS3X3
'76 Westy- Stock 2.0L L-Jet

User avatar
Piledriver
Moderator
Posts: 21748
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 3:01 am
Location: Van Alstyne, Texas

Re: Cylinder Head Temp Gauge

Post by Piledriver » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:42 pm

kangaboy wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:39 pm
Could meqasquirt use the info generated by the module to display/log head temps?
Sure, given a free analog input.

A lot of the modern tc modules use i2c comms, so could potentially talk directly to an ms3, given support in the firmware.
An ms2 might be able to do it via a tinyiox.
I, for one, regularly embrace our new robot overlords, as I am the guy fixing the robots...

yellow_snocone
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:26 pm
Location: NW indiana

Re: Cylinder Head Temp Gauge

Post by yellow_snocone » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:57 pm

Excuse my ignorance but what is a tinyiox?

Post Reply