1600 turbo build thread

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
panel

Re: 1600 turbo build thread

Post by panel »

Sounds great!
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
buguy

Post by buguy »

Well after having a chance to run it a bit it seems that as i let it idle the idle rpm increases. Not a lot, but some. Blip the throttle and it goes back to normal, and then rises again. Not sure what's causing it yet but it almost has to be in the carb. It didn't do it with the other carb. I did weld the new flange on, but other than that I haven't changed anything else. I may throw the old carb back on just to eliminate the intake from the equation.
madmike

Post by madmike »

check the floats :wink:
buguy

Post by buguy »

Good call. That or a tiny vacuum leak is all I can think of. Does it with the throttle cable disconnected too.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Float levels checked out. I then just held the throttle shut and it held steady. Perhaps I need a bit stronger return spring. Also just a note, this carb doesn't start any where near as nice as the old carb did. Not sure why yet but I will keep jacking with it. Seems a bit rich when I'm trying to start it.
madmike

Post by madmike »

Does it have the huge 50cc acc.pump shot?
Dan Dryden

Post by Dan Dryden »

Could it be a small amount of fuel puddling?
Blip the throttle and the extra air speed clears the intake, so idle drops back to normal.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Only. 30cc accel pump shot. This is just a little stock 1600. I had #34 nozzle size on the 450 carb but this one has #31 and it seems pretty good.
It could have some fuel puddling but it's the same intake I had with the other carb and it didn't do it.
Dan Dryden

Post by Dan Dryden »

If the idle air speed was different when using your other carb, the slightest change could make a difference.
Are the venturi the same size?
buguy

Post by buguy »

I believe the venturi size is just a bit smaller on the new carb.
When I held the throttle shut, the idle didn't increase. So I don't know if I need a bit more spring to hold it shut or what. Overall so far this carb doesn't work as well as the old one. Of course the old one was brand new and this one is unknown to me. I really should take a look at the gasket match to the carb too. For some reason I have a feeling it doesn't quite match up. This carb doesn't start instantly like the other one did either.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Hey Dan (or anyone else that may know) I was reading your thread and you said you put a 1.5mm restrictor in the oil feed line for your subie turbo. Can you share where you can get one of those restrictors?
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

The Subaru turbo already has a restrictor built in.
Look inside the oil feed and you can see a small hole where the oil goes into the center section.

Just feed it with a AN-3 or 3/16ths inch feed line and use a 5/8ths inch drain line fairly straight down and you will have no troubles.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Great. I already have both of those. I'm kind of wondering if I should just skip this turbo and find myself a 9b. It would probably work way better for the type of driving I do. Lots of stop and go here and nothing over 50mph. So mine would be romps between lights.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

The -9B is one of the twin turbos from a Dodge Stealth. I'm sure it would be an insta-boost turbo for a 1600 since it was from a 3.0L with two of them.
Finding one or finding one in good shape is the question.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah there was actually just a good one on eBay with the stock down pipe with o2 sensor for $150. I eye balled it and then went to do some research and when I went back to it, it was sold. Oh well. I may keep looking. It appears an 11b or C would be between the 9b and 13t. Might also be a good comprise.