1600 turbo build thread

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
buguy

Re: 1600 turbo build thread

Post by buguy »

Also a few weeks ago I threw my arms up and was just going to grab some slip ins and be done with it! But then figured I still have to get all the bearings, a cam, lifters, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, pushrods, oil pump, rods, pistons and cylinders, crank or get my crank 8 doweled, and have my heads redone at minimum.
So really it's just a matter of more expensive heads, a little more on rods, little more on clutch, and mostly the same rest of the parts so I may as well go for it now.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Do you guys think if I went with a bigger valve head (42x37.5 as opposed to 40x35.5) it would move the power too far up in the Rev range for a street car?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Clonebug wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:35 pm Guess I better take my AA's out and get some Mahles...... :roll: :cry: :lol:
Gotta remember clone, you are limiting to 5500rpm or so. That is whats probably keeping the wrist pins still in place. That combined with your detonation management is whats keeping things together. An fk10 based motor is gonna rev. It might not make peak power at big rpm, but it will gladly go there with power to spare. Thats where those AA pistons will be in trouble.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I'm thinking about buying a CB black box or the magnaspark to control ignition until I can get MS on there. Or maybe there is a way to go crank trigger that I won't be wasting money on stuff that will end up on the shelf?
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

MS kit can be a cheaper option then buying ready made, and run it just ignition.... i ran mine ignition only for a long time, add FI was just a matter of adding the FI hardware after that
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

andy198712 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:13 am MS kit can be a cheaper option then buying ready made, and run it just ignition.... i ran mine ignition only for a long time, add FI was just a matter of adding the FI hardware after that
very true, I just bought an MS3 build it yourself kit for like 360 bucks on a 10% off sale a few weeks ago. They'll do another on black friday. Took me a couple hours to build it, but now its a pretty capable setup, and it didn't cost that much. You could get a fully assembled Microsquirt with harness for about the same price, just depends on how capable you want it to be once you start putting it to work. MS3 is pretty capable, most vw owners will be hard pressed to use it to its fullest.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Hummm. I could swing that. It's not much more than a magnaspark
buguy

Post by buguy »

Dang. I was checking out this CB build. http://cbperformance.net/images/BobsSpyderDynoChart.jpg
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I like that cb doesn't even use their 1.3 rockers.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I think every build except one that I have seen were all 1.25 rockers. I think there was one I saw that was 1.4.
I wish they posted boost numbers on those sheets. I don't quite understand how they made so much more power than the others with that build. Most I saw on their site were right around 300 hp and that is with 2276-2387cc and many are around the 7000 rpm mark or even a little more. That build peaks at 6500 rpm with a small stroke. Might be the highest flowing heads I've seen on their turbo engines though. At least the ones they post about.
petew

Post by petew »

The chart doesn't note the manifold pressure (boost) figures. That might explain it. Also, different dynos give you different figures.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Sure. But I assume they dyno all of their engines in house so the spread would be the same either way. But it does say it was run on 91 octane with an intercooler. Seems like most of their engines are in the 8.5-9:1 compression so they couldn't have been running too much boost I wouldn't think. I don't think I've seen one they listed that ran more than 14psi.
But yeah. If they would list compression and boost that would help a lot.
Maybe I will call and talk to Mark again tomorrow and if he has access to those missing numbers.
woodsbuggy1

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

Wow, very impressive numbers. One of my friends has a very well built 2387cc NA motor that will climb anything and he had it on an engine dyno prior to purchase and it made 152hp and 156ft/lbs but i live in flatland Indiana I am sure it would have made well over 250hp on the west coast. I a a firm believer that a dyno is a great tool for tuning but I think that there can be major variations in dyno readings.
Kenric
Good quality is getting harder and harder to find.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Revving an engine above 5500 on the street is going to get old if that is where your power is.
Build it for streetable power in the 5000-5500 rpm range where it is usable.
My engine performs great shifting at 3000 rpm and going to 4000 rpm makes a big difference in acceleration..

Most of CB's hp ratings are crank hp and torque.
The above engine is intercooled while most of their engines don't seem to be. You gain a fair amount of hp with the cooler air.
Last edited by Clonebug on Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
buguy

Post by buguy »

No doubt. But I'm sure CB has it pretty well dialed in. There are lots of people staring at them.
But really it's not necessarily the numbers I'm curious about, just why it's so much higher than the others.