1600 turbo build thread

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
madmike

Re: 1600 turbo build thread

Post by madmike »

I must be lucky? my flea-bay turbos don't smoke :roll: :mrgreen: but I am saving up for a good one, I've been told they spool better :wink:
buguy

Post by buguy »

My last one didn't smoke either. This turbo is in great shape so I don't know. I had it apart when I first got it to blast it and paint it since I had to get the orientation right anyway. Maybe I damaged one of those o-rings or something?
Seems even worst now that I have a 2 barrel on it. Maybe it's putting more suction in that turbo with having 2 less barrels to get free air from??
buguy

Post by buguy »

Ugh. I told myself I wasn't going to do this anymore but I picked up another carb today. This time a 350 cfm 2 barrel Holley. Crusty as usual!
madmike

Post by madmike »

Haha, Sometimes their JUST to hard to pass up :lol: :lol: :lol:
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah. I have a feeling it is going to work best for me too. But it's super super crusty. I can't even scrape the gas kegs off its so bad! She's soaking in the parts washer as we speak. This weekend is the big spring Rod Run here so I'm going to go to it tonight and pick up a full rebuild kit for it. There are always tons of vendors with parts. I think I might try to buy a supercharger hat for it there too and try blowing through it sometime soon. Maybe after the big VW show here April 8-10.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Is there any reason not to run a vent into the vacuum port on the carb? The black hose is connected to a port on my oil fill. I've never had any oil come out of it. Suppose it would be enough vacuum to draw oil out?
theKbStockpiler

Post by theKbStockpiler »

A pcv system has to be configured. The crank case vapor has to push open a valve when the pressure gets too high. If not it's going to run lean because the carb is going to suck air into it all the time.
Super beetle with attitude
buguy

Post by buguy »

Ahhh. Good point.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Dang. Found the intake to end casting boots were loose. Tried to tighten them but the worm clamps are not strong enough. I ordered some t-bolt clamps. I wonder if I had huge boost leak?
Also ordered a rebuild kit for the 350cfm 2 barrel.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I ripped the stock intake boots at 13 lbs.

I bought a set of 5 layer silicone boots from DugsBugs or someone like that. They were a PITA to get on but they didn't leak.

When I built my own intake I increased the size of the cross tube to match the endpiece diameter so I could use straight silicone couplers instead of the stepped ones the stock intake needed.

Be careful when you tighten those stock boots. They will tear if you put too much clamp pressure on them.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
buguy

Post by buguy »

They aren't stock boots. These are the super thick semi truck type radiator hose. Same as I had on my intake to turbo connection. Waaaay stronger than the 4 ply silicone I bought to replace it. I bought them at NAPA in 2007 and they are still strong as they were then. I need to go back to there and see if they still have it. I don't like the silicone as much and it is way cheaper.
My carb rebuild kit will be in tomorrow. I'm excited to see how the 350cfm 2 barrel works.
I still have the type 3 regulator, so if there is time I might try to make a cone and blow through it too. But the big show here is the weekend after Easter, so that's pushing it. Might have to wait 'til after.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Oh man! My car loves that little 350cfm 2 barrel Holley! The 500cfm Holley 2 barrel I have had a 50cc accelerator pump on it so I swapped it into the 350cfm. Really responsive, idles a bit leaner than the others, and just feels happier. I didn't get to take it for much of a ride because I'm pretty sick and I had already worked an 11 hour day so I was best. If I'm feeling better tomorrow I will take it out for more of a drive so I can get a better feel for the AFR at cruise and boost. Oh and I boost referenced the power valve too while I had it apart.
Still need to pull everything off so I can replace the intake clamps that are crap too. Guess I should have done that while I was waiting for parts to come in.
Still smokes like crazy too. Well.... Maybe not like crazy but too much for me to be daily driving it. I ordered a sump and a 10AN fitting for the turbo so I can get a straighter shot for the drain. I don't think it's going to help but it certainly won't hurt.
theKbStockpiler

So why haven't you rebuilt the turbo? From the Utube videos I have watched it looks pretty easy.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah I saw some of those videos. I need to call someone. I've been searching but I don't see anyone offering a carbon seal for drawthrough. A simple rebuild could do it but I really don't know. I guess it wouldn't hurt to just do it.
theKbStockpiler

Low Bugget has them and the seal it's self Is like $60. I believe a carbon seal is not interchangeable with a piston style seal unless the housing is modified.