1600 turbo build thread

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
buguy

Re: 1600 turbo build thread

Post by buguy »

The other carb had the fuel inlet on the other side. This one is on the left side and a dual feed hard line will probably hit the doghouse. Maybe if I take those adaptors out it may just go over the top. Otherwise I may be running a spacer under it. Or cutting the carb flange back off and turning it so the carb runs left to right.
The throttle cable linkage is on the other side of the carb.
buguy

Post by buguy »

So I just ran the dual feed line to come out toward the back so I could put the carb on for a test. Turns out I put the jets in backward. I put 67's in the primary and 52's in the secondary. Didn't work so great but I didn't have time to reverse it and the engine was hot. Despite having 15 sizes too big of jets in there it was already way more responsive than the 450 was. Bit surprised about that. Also I couldn't get it to idle lower than 1500 rpm. I'm hoping that has something to do with the jets being so far off. Could be sucking air somewhere too. This is an unknown carb.
madmike

Post by madmike »

Make sure the butterflys on the secondarys arnt' cracked open/or bent :roll: their is a tiny set screw adjustment for that :wink:
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah when I started it they were cracked open a bit. I closed 'em up. I already switched the jets but haven't had a chance to try it again yet. I noticed my intake is on a downward slope too, so I will have to address that too.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Looks like I didn't do the greatest job welding the flange on the intake. She's suckin air from the world somewhere in the back/drivers side. Saw some gas dripping from the secondary booster too but this carb has been sitting a long time. Need to see what's going on there. I'm concerned this carb may be jacked. Not going to stress too much 'til I have the intake sealed up.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Hummm. I was just thinking about that I read somewhere guys run these little carbs in race car and sometimes drill holes in the butterflies to get them to idle. I just looked at my other 390 holley and it does have holes drilled in them. Im betting the one on the car does too.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Weber carbs have an air bypass screw to balance the barrels or adjust idle.
A Solex carb is designed to have the throttle plate almost completely closed due to the idle air circuit and other circuits being very close to the closed throttle plate.
Every carb has a specific way to adjust it for best use. A Holley carb is no different.
Go through the proper sequence of adjustment and you might have a better chance of it running correctly. You can't just slap it on and expect it to run.
Here is a website for setting up a Holley carb....read it all a couple times before you tackle yours.

http://www.junkyardgenius.com/holley/tune01.html
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah I am pretty good with carbs. But if this carb has holes drilled in the throttle blades then it was modified by someone. They don't have them from the factory. It's just a little trick the guys use that have to run them as a restriction on racing. I will know more in the morning when I pull it off again. Also there is a chance since I made the carb flange that it could be off and hanging up one or more of the blades. But again, until I fix the air leak in the intake none of it will matter.
The real issues is I'm trying to work on it at work after hours when I already have put 10-12 hours in and really need to get home. I need to set aside some time where I can focus on it.
petew

Post by petew »

Don't bother welding the pinhole. RTV sealant will do fine.
madmike

Post by madmike »

leak is the source of the idle problem , and fuel eats RTV pete :lol:
I would turn the carb too ,, I've heard they have sometimes problem with fuel sloshing away from the jets mounted that way??? and most of us mount them like mine now days ,,sideways
buguy

Post by buguy »

Well I have a feeling its more than one pin hole. It will need more inspection before knowing that though. And I found someone did drill holes in the primary throttle plates, so I will epoxy those up. Also the flange I made is just slightly smaller than the gasket in a couple spots so I will open that up too.
I also noticed when I took the carb off this morning a drop or 2 of fuel came out the primary throttle shaft on the outside of the carb. Could be worn out and sucking air there too. Again... Need more inspection!
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

You can also use JB Weld to seal small pinholes if you can't weld them shut. A backfire might pop it out again though.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah. I will just weld it. No biggy. But I'm thinking about using quick steel and smooth the transition inside the intake.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Got er pretty well sorted out. Of course this is just sitting still but I think I have the problems solved. I hope to get the new throttle cable in tomorrow night then it will be pretty much ready for a test drive.
https://youtu.be/oWusnKzhosI
buguy

Post by buguy »

Got the throttle cable switched out and working well. I was just wondering..... I have heard a ton about people breaking throttle cables but mine appeared to be a solid wire. I can't imagine that ever breaking. My new one is braded, but the old one seems pretty tough!
The flanges for the Subaru turbo came today too. So now that I'm pretty much done I get to cut it up and do it again!