1600 turbo build thread

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Clonebug

Re: 1600 turbo build thread

Post by Clonebug »

panel wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:42 pm
Clonebug wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:19 pm There is an upgrade you can do that will get it to flow almost 350 hp.
And that is..... ?

Here you go....

http://www.ardideas.com/TD04-19T-Conver ... _2211.html
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
buguy

Post by buguy »

That's funny. I watched that earlier when I was looking at how the turbo comes apart. I think I'm going to have clocking issues and will have to either modify the wastegate bracket or just go external (which I really wouldn't mind).
petew

Post by petew »

Ditto.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I use a clocking bracket that allows about 70 degrees of change on the turbo housing. The stock wastegate diaphram still works without having to bend the crap out of it.
One option is to weld the flapper shut and use an external wastegate......but it is more costly.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah I was thinking I might just try to make an extended bracket to locate it back where it needs to go. Like I said, I wouldn't mind using an external wastegate, but I know me and I would surely buy a Chinese knockoff and something bad would happen. Making a bracket can't be too hard. I have lots of aluminum plate. Clone I was eyeballing your bracket in the last pic you posted on this thread.
Also I was wondering if you just plugged the water ports on this turbo?
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

The bracket was 45 bucks and is nothing fancy. It just moves the diaphram one bolt hole up. You could probably build one yourself and in fact I built a quick one for testing to fit the intercooler which probably would have worked well enough.
But the one I bought made everything fit soooo nicely. It is made from 1/4 inch stainless.

The water ports are not even plugged....they are just open with nothing in them.
I use them as a support while holding the turbo in place when I am building the up pipe. Otherwise they are not used after install.
buguy

Post by buguy »

$45?!?!?! Who can spend that kind of money on one of these builds?!!! I will spend 15 hours to make a crappy reproduction!
I broke my snap ring pliers trying to get that big snapring off the turbo (so I can blast and paint the hot side) so I guess i need to go buy a new set tomorrow. Also I found the box and receipt for the coil, so I will be able to get that replaced at no cost.
I really wanted to get to work so I could work on the wiring of the PLX this weekend but I didnt. So I will have to plug away at that after work this week. I think I want to get one of those terminal blocks to wire that and my tach up to so I'm not wiring it all to the same post. It's supposed to be super cold here this week. Maybe down into the 30's! So I don't know how much I will want to stay there.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Wow damn! With my Harbor Freight snap ring pliers that turbo snap ring was a mofo to get off!
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Did you put some WD-40 on it and then give the compressor housing a gentle tap with a rubber mallet???
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah I got the hot side off with some work. It was the snap ring that really gave me trouble. The pliers I have aren't quite sized for that monster! But after a lot of cussing I finally got it. Tomorrow I will blast the rusty parts and give them a coat of paint. I know it won't hold up, but it will last a little while. I pulled the locating pins out so I can clock it where I want and see if I can make a bracket for the wastegate.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Woohoo. Lifetime warranty on the coil! Ordered some new plugs and valve cover gaskets while I was there. I went with a 7 heat range for now.
I spent some time on getting the wiring to the PLX cleaned up and mounted tonight too. Man working under that low ass hood sure was easier when I built this thing 14 years ago! Not a job for an old man like me! I don't know how it got so dang dirty under there. When it's not so cold I will give it a wash in there.
madmike

Post by madmike »

good job wiring,,
cold? it ain't cold in Fla. :? come on up here it's -4f this fine morning :roll: :lol:
buguy

Post by buguy »

It's hard to explain but cold in Florida is different than other places. I lived in Iowa for the first 38 years of my life so I know cold! But it's 29 here this morning and I don't remember it being much colder feeling there. Also we just aren't equipt to handle it here. I mean I don't own a coat! No heat here at work. And after 9 years I might have turned into a bit of a sissy!!
madmike

Post by madmike »

Good old Pig farms&corn fields country :lol:my Bro-in-law is from Gilbert :wink:
ya tuned chilly up here today windchill is -35*f, I have two wood stoves going :lol: 82* in the house by,,,,, noonish :lol: :lol: :lol:
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yep. Lots of corn!
I'm just trying to ride this out. Supposed to be back to 70 degrees on Monday